Tyranid Unit of the Week 10th Ed Hormagaunts

Brother Nathan

++Homagaunts++

nidsbackground.PNG.ab23399cb50982eef23ac14901b5d8de.PNG

We have a new unit of the week! the homble hormagaunt. have you tried them. what combos. how many? is there an optimum squad size? 

To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)? And at what points restrictions?

What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?

What Enhancements, Hyper Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?

Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?

One of the best units I think - the 3A 4+/3/-1/1 profile is solid and maybe on par with devourers, they put out a lot of mele attacks, and with sustained hits can do a number on infantry. 10"+ advance and charge is really scary, combined with OC2. One of the best ways to flip an objective, just avoid flamers! 

60 sustained attacks vs marines is 30 hits+10 bonus, 13 wounds, ~7 failed saves = 3 dead, which isn't bad. You're otherwise doing a lot more to things that are only t3, have 1w, or not in power armour. 

Last game, I sent a full unit into 8 bloodletters + skulltaker and wiped them with a bit of dice spike. On average I should be doing 9 wounds. Adding in the 5+ to crit strat is a good use here.

I like to pair mine with venom and zoanthropes to get a 6++ and -1 to hit, and boost them to a 4+ save, this really keeps them alive, and means you can use the endless swarm strat on surviving units. 

I used my squad of 10 against custodians on sat. Full charge all in twice did zero wounds... they however are very fast and do volume damage against other targets. I xid run around and back to distract attacks from other key targets. So worth remembering thats their main ability. Fast  relatively cheap. How well that compares to gargoyles who are fast and shoot move or termagaunts move shoot move when approached...

Custodians are a different thing, maybe even T6 gravis armour too for that matter. I've been on the receiveing end of custodes often enough to know that charging them is a likely free 20 kills for them and a consolidation, and then being free to act as normal in their own turn. With custodes or flamer aggressors and such, I'd move to 1.1" away from them and just stand there, then they're move blocked, and have to charge on their turn so no free attacks. This would also have been a prime candidate for acid blood or whatever the old strat was. 

true that. anything higher toughness they will bounce off.. til you get to armour and are rolling with 6s auto wound adaptive. still not fantastic.am now realising that if id played them more aggressively they would have with their speed been able to charge my opponents home objective at the very point that it was battleshocked and would not have gotten overwatch flamered to death... which would have changed much... sigh...