Games Workshop x Wētā Collaboration

GtoPGlfPXQLMYpAQ.jpg

WarCom Article.

Warhammer is already known for making the best fantasy miniatures in the world, and now its legendary characters will step from the tabletop in a brand new series of 1:6 scale premium statues by Wētā. 

Pretty surprising, but awesome news nonetheless.

GW diversifying their business model into more collectibles... honestly this'll happen more and more as time goes on and I believe it is the credible business model with changing technology out there (3D printers I'm looking at you).

Would have been nice to see what they're producing but I think the whole studio being into GW products is telling and reassuring. Really felt they knew what they were talking about regarding the hobby.

I dunno. Felt wholesome and sincere and I liked that.

Would be sick to get a Krieger based off of the Karl Kopinkski art. Or, to play to Wetas' fantasy roots, this classic recreated;

latest?cb=20160529224618

Edit : image seems to be borked. It's Engra Deathsword by Adrian Smith.

Edited by Hungry Nostraman Lizard

3 hours ago, Borbarad said:

So what does Wētā do exactly? All I get are pictures of insects :tongue:

High-end collectibles. 

Also the same company that handled the design and manufacture of props for The Lord of the Rings trilogy. 

3 hours ago, Borbarad said:

So what does Wētā do exactly? All I get are pictures of insects :tongue:

They are most well known for the practical costume and special effects work on the Lord of The Rings trilogy with Peter Jackson, and have done a lot of film and TV stuff since then. I guess they are also producing collectable items for consumer sale now.

Their 1/6 scale statues (which they'll be producing for GW) are  equal parts crazy quality and crazy expensive

Spoiler

image.jpeg.323c3437028eb7dcde1623ede9beeb10.jpegthe-lord-of-the-rings-statue-1-6-scale-gthe-lord-of-the-rings-statue-1-6-scale-s

I think there's a huge amount they can do with GW artworks so it'll be cool to look at, at the very least

43 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

Their 1/6 scale statues (which they'll be producing for GW) are  equal parts crazy quality and crazy expensive

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpeg.323c3437028eb7dcde1623ede9beeb10.jpegthe-lord-of-the-rings-statue-1-6-scale-gthe-lord-of-the-rings-statue-1-6-scale-s

I think there's a huge amount they can do with GW artworks so it'll be cool to look at, at the very least

I mean... can you imagine the final duel on the Vengeful Spirit brought out like this :jawdrop:

On 9/14/2023 at 7:21 AM, loginomicon said:

If you look at what other stuff they make, yeah... My wallet is gonna huurrrtt but my office desk is going look amazing XD

https://www.wetanz.com/us/fountain-guard-of-gondor

Pricey for sure, but not that outlandish,

Looks great, half a meter high and almost 4 kilos so by no means tiny. Feels inline with other quality decor pieces you'd see in home decor

Weta collectible prices are not bad at all, around mid level for mass production pieces. 

We've previously had huge statues costing $1000+ from Prime 1 studios and HMO, I would imagine wetas offerings will be around the $4-500 mark and some board members will be able to purchase them. 

Weta also make prop replicas, which could be really interesting items. I would be very surprised if we don't eventually get a series of collectible space marine helmets like what Hasbro do with Star Wars from one company or another. 

17 hours ago, Captain Coolpants said:

I got so excited when I first seen this. Thought you meant weta the visual effects company. Thought there was going to be some big budget filmography deal. 

Me too but it was the other Weta.

Conspiracy/fan speculation theory time...continuing to build the GW/Weta relationship could lead to involvement in films/TV via props/costumes etc when the Amazon deal takes off?  

• 1 month later...