Roll modifiers and special rules

Mana
Go to solution Solved by Cleon,

Per page 151 of the rules, special rules (like rending, breaching, etc) only trigger on unmodified rolls of the required number, they are not affected by modifiers, and modifiers are applied after to the roll.

So here comes my question:

My Night Lords vets get some hits on a contemptor. The vets attack with charnabal sabres (S4), the sabres have breaching(5+). The contemptor is T7 so to pass the wound roll I need 6s. The Night Lords legion trait is a talent for murder(atfm), which gives a +1 to the roll to wound if they attack an outnumbered, falling back or pinned unit. In this case the contemptor is outnumbered, I'm attacking with 10 vets. For this example let's say I roll a 5 in the wound roll.

The breaching(x) special rule says that if you roll an x the wound should be resolved at AP 2 with things that have wounds. So in this case, each 5+ I roll should be resolved at AP2 and because atfm gives me a +1 to wound, in reality I would be breaching and wounding the contemptor with 5s and 6s, not just 6s, right?

• Solution

That's an interesting one. My response would be yes. You have breaching 5+ and you rolled a 5 which wounded. The fact it counted as a 6 to wound because of the +1 doesn't stop it being a natural 5 for breaching so I think all the conditions are met. I'd be happy to hear any counter arguments though.

Seems legit. 

While rending is an auto wound, breaching just means any successful wounds will be at AP2, and you can still fail to wound.

The NL rule modifies the target wound roll against the dread, the dice still shows the unmodified 5+, so I'd say all criteria are met and you wound and breach dreads on the unmodified 5+.