Mixed Toughness

WAdams2152

So I’m still getting back into the swing of things here, so please forgive me. 

Say I attach my Neurotyrant to a unit of Neurogaunts. Tyrant is T8. Gaunts are T3. They are attacked by a unit without the precision ability. A few questions.

a) the Tyrant doesn’t start to take wounds until all the gaunts are dead? Or does it depend on whether models are in direct base to base contact with it?

b) whilst it has any gaunts left, the tyrants toughness is effectively reduced to 3. Correct? 

c) If it was being attacked by a unit with the precision ability, it would have T8 regardless of the number of gaunts left. Correct?

I’m trying to weigh the trade off of joining characters to units to shield them from fire, at the cost of their toughness. 

as an aside, a general rule would be Tyrant Guard all the way? Correct?

thanks everyone!

a) for a non precision weapon you as the controlling player can allocate the wounding attacks in the unit. Exept you have a wounded multi lp model in the unit then the attacks have to be allocated there first.

b) correct

c) The toughness is still reduced to the units, as the unit as a whole is the target of the attack, you are just allowed to allocate the attacks as the attacker if you have precision.