No unit classifications?

WAdams2152

Again, forgive my ignorance. I haven’t played 40K since 3rd edition (although played WFB until 7th). 

Back in those days, army lists were helpfully separated into unit types. Troops. Fast attack. Elite. Heavy support etc. where has this gone? I’m looking at my shiny new Tyranid Codex and just don’t know where to start. The sheer number of different units is staggering but I’m finding differentiating or comparing them is really hard. 

Any help appreciated!

Yeah, that's something new to this edition - no more unit classifications (except battleline, which is essentially the old Troops classification).  

Not sure how best to try to compare like units - at least for Tyranids, they (for the most part) visually differentiate into various categories such as small bugs, winged bugs, medium sized bugs and big bugs, which at at least eases comparison within those types.  Maybe print off (or purchase) the datacards for a category you are looking at then lay them out together so you can easily compare them.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Prettymuch. You need one character to be warlord and thats it. Named characters have a max 1. Battleline max 6. Everything else max 3... its not the smoothest but we roll. 

this is an area where i do prefer battlescribe as it breaks down unto catagorys such as epic heros, characters, battleline, infantry, swarm, beast, monster etc may be easier

Edited by Brother nathan

5 hours ago, Brother nathan said:

Prettymuch. You need one character to be warlord and thats it. Named characters have a max 1. Battleline max 6. Everything else max 3... its not the smoothest but we roll. 

Everything else 3 except Dedicated Transports and Battleline that are 6.

@WAdams2152: you can see it summarized on p56 of the Core rules.