Wolves with the new SM Detachments

Karhedron

I am asuming that Wolves will get access to the new Space Marine detachments, at least for the moment. The reason I am assuming this is that Oath of Moment is changing. If the Space Wolves Index is not linked to the new SM Codex, it means that Wolves will still be able to use the superior version of Oath as well as units like Sniper Scouts that have been sent to Legends for Codex chapters.

If I am wrong then this topic is redundant but assuming I am right, what looks promising from the new Detachments?

The first one that springs obviously to mind is that Salamanders-equivalent detachment. This provides plenty of bonuses for short-ranged fire-fighting which is something Wolves traditionally do very well at. The fact that squads like Grey Hunters can double up on special weapons but no heavy weapons makes them a very good fit. We can then use our natural melee capability to follow up the shooting with a more effective charge than pure Codex units can always manage.

The other detachment that looks promising is the Iron Hands-equiv which gives a reroll to Hit, Wound or Damage per unit per phase. In previous editions we have been able to field quite effective squads of Dreadnoughts. Possibly this will be a good way to do that going forwards with an Iron Priest accompanying the Dreads to give them all Lethal Hits (Enhancement) and patch them up if they suffer damage.

We can use codex spacemarines detachments with our chapter specific units, they confirmed it in the 40k facebook page, they also said that the SW/DA/BA etc will get supplements to use alongside codex spacemarines. The white scars detachment looks promising with turn one  strategic reserves (eradicators) and advance and charge thunderwolves with the mounted units specific strats

Edited by lonewolf81

For me these detachments are great if the system remains as in Indexes - indeed, I used to play my SW more and more as vanilla SM painted in grey (blue-grey in fact) rather than as pure SW. The latter was becoming a marginal list building in my (not so) recent games before 8th Ed... In fact when I used SW Codex, it was only for Thunder Wolves or StormFangs. As such the new detachment make me happy, as I can still change my game style and tactics upon the cycles of the moon (can one ear any howling wolf?). Are they all worth it rule wise. This is a topic that I will not even look at: I am driven by rule of cool mainly. And anyway, give me the best otT army with ultimate and best rules, I will probably manage losing the game in any case. This is what happens with one or two games per trimester vs. opponents ar 1 game per week... Rule management carency.

3 hours ago, lonewolf81 said:

We can use codex spacemarines detachments with our chapter specific units, they confirmed it in the 40k facebook page.

I, however, tend to take everything published by GW on Facebook and other medias with a LOT of caution... [Insert Grim_Face]

Hoping that this declaration will not change within the next 28 days [Insert "bad moon rising" tune].

7 hours ago, lonewolf81 said:

We can use codex spacemarines detachments with our chapter specific units, they confirmed it in the 40k facebook page, they also said that the SW/DA/BA etc will get supplements to use alongside codex spacemarines. The white scars detachment looks promising with turn one  strategic reserves (eradicators) and advance and charge thunderwolves with the mounted units specific strats

Any chance you can link the comment? I couldn't find it but Facebook does weird stuff with comment filtering so who knows why I couldn't. 

I too am feeling the Stormlance Detachment is looking particularly spicy for my wolves play style. 

What I really want to know is do I have to buy 2 codexes this edition? Because it is starting to look like a yes...

I feel so bad for SW players right now, talk about being the forgotten army.... I'm not sure how you are supposed to compose a force when GW hasn't even bothered updating the line to include Primaris aside from one single combat patrol....

14 hours ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Any chance you can link the comment? I couldn't find it but Facebook does weird stuff with comment filtering so who knows why I couldn't. 

It is confirmed in this Warcom article. Wolves and Angels can use the new detachments too.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/21/codex-space-marines-the-new-detachments-arent-just-for-the-first-founding-chapters/

The flip side is that we will have to accept the weaker version of Oath of Moment so that seems fair.

I'm liking Firestorm the most followed closely by Stormlance. Our action monkeys get a lot more movement out of it. Outriders might be usable now, but it definitely makes Skyclaws and Inceptors amazing. That extra strength on ranged weapons will really help meltas against tanks too. Stormlance would be good for getting Termies and BGV into combat easier. It also opens up more points by not needing so many transports from a mobility aspect for footslogging units.

16 hours ago, Dark_Vengeant said:

I feel so bad for SW players right now, talk about being the forgotten army.... I'm not sure how you are supposed to compose a force when GW hasn't even bothered updating the line to include Primaris aside from one single combat patrol....

Personally I'm waiting for the DA army drop to get a better idea of what we should expect for Wolves. No reason to get worked up about it, for now.

Skyclaws, Inceptors, TWC...I think Stormlance is gonna be a blast.

I'm looking forward to Wolf Guard with Librarian and combis with Firestorm. 7-12" movement, then 11 combis hitting on 3+, S5 2 shots within 12", Dev wounds. That's not counting the 4++ from the Libby and whatever enhancements he could have. If they get charged, the Wolf Guard are putting out 40 S5 AP-1 D1 hitting on 2+. Could even throw in a WGPL for another combi and power weapon.

I REALLY wish we could put different detachments in a roster still. All the melee units in Stormlance and all the ranged in Firestorm.

4 hours ago, TheNicronomicon said:

Personally I'm waiting for the DA army drop to get a better idea of what we should expect for Wolves. No reason to get worked up about it, for now.

Skyclaws, Inceptors, TWC...I think Stormlance is gonna be a blast.

Stormlance will be great for Wulfen too. 9-14" movement and then charge with 40-60 (depending on loadout) S5 AP-1 D1 attacks. They'll make good nuisance units with that.

3 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I like my PAWG with Storm Bolters instead. 4 S5 shots each at 12" range is pretty tasty but otherwise I agree,  Firestorm looks good.

Why SB over CW? Number of shots and BS?

Edited by Apokalypsi

2 hours ago, Apokalypsi said:

Why SB or CW? Number of shots and BS?

I plan to run them with a Lt. Lethal HIts works well with volume of fire but conflicts slightly with Devastating Wounds. Maybe I am underestimating the value of CWs but I have not had enough games yet to try them out.