How many super heavy tanks is too much super heavy tanks.

TheNewMann

Hiya Everyone.

While have yet to buy models to be able to play tabletop 40k. I am playing the tabletop game in Tabletop simulator. And since I took imperial guard as my main faction and also love super heavy tanks. I would like to know if its a good idea to focus on having an army centered around super heavy tanks (The Baneblade would be an obvious choice of mine, tho would also like to consider on other super heavies)

I finally went out and bought two kits. I built a baneblade and a shadowsword. I took my time building and painting them, put decals and weathering on, and they look great. Fun kit from a hobby perspective.

I have yet to play them. I probably will at some point. They are T13 and have 24 wounds. Lots of fire power. On the other hand, the Rogal Dorn has T12 and 18 wounds, and is about 2/3 or less the cost.

Overall, they are not too competitive. Some armies like Eldar with branching fates, strands of fate, and unparalleled foresight can basically target and kill it in one round by just declaring their dice hit. On the other side of that equation, armies like Grey Knights will have a hard time killing it.

I wouldn't take them to a tournament, but they are fun to put on the board and use.

16 hours ago, Spyboy said:

If you find it fun, then it is a good idea.  Is it the most competitive thing out there?  I don't think so.  

Also, I've heard that there are some people that don't appreciate playing against a baneblade chassis in low points games.

Well, guess I should use it on games with armies of 2k or 3k points.

And a bit reasured that its still a good idea on the fun side. Rest to know if I can win games with it. Not that I plan to be competitive, but would still like it to still be useful in a game.  

15 hours ago, OverchargeThis! said:

Overall, they are not too competitive. Some armies like Eldar with branching fates, strands of fate, and unparalleled foresight can basically target and kill it in one round by just declaring their dice hit. 

Funny since out of my three recent games on TableTop Simulator. One of them was a 3k point game where I played imperial guard against a friend's eldar army. His two fire prisms managed to oneshot all of my super heavies (including an imperial knight that I regretted bringing him). I suppose its a question of fighting the right opponent

11 hours ago, TCC said:

This is my current army list - it’s been really competitive with 3 wins in a row now in our local league against, chaos knights, WE and thousand suns.

IMG_0419.jpeg

The god emperor truly blessed you with victory. For these tanks, sentinels and artillery looks rad.

Taking the super heavy tanks in mid to large games is fine. If kitted correctly they can be devastating. Took the following list against my friends Chaos Knight army. Poor boy was tabled turn 3, he had 3 mediums and 4 small knights. 

521st combined (1995 points)
Astra Militarum
Strike Force (2000 points)
Combined Regiment

CHARACTER

Cadian Castellan (65 points) - attached to Infantry squad
  • 1x Chainsword
    1x Laspistol
  • Enhancement: Drill Commander

Platoon Command Squad (75 points) - Attached to DKoK
  • 1x Platoon Commander
    • Warlord
    • 1x Close combat weapon
      1x Laspistol
    • Enhancement: Grand Strategist
  • 4x Veteran Guardsman
    • 4x Close combat weapon
      1x Grenade launcher
      3x Lasgun
      4x Laspistol
      1x Master Vox
      1x Medi-pack
      1x Regimental Standard

Primaris Psyker (60 points) - attached to DKoK
  • 1x Force weapon
    1x Laspistol
    1x Psychic Maelstrom

Regimental Enginseer (45 points)
  • 1x Archeotech pistol
    1x Enginseer axe
    1x Servo-arm

Regimental Enginseer (45 points)
  • 1x Archeotech pistol
    1x Enginseer axe
    1x Servo-arm

Tank Commander (215 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    2x Heavy bolter
    1x Heavy stubber
    1x Hunter-killer missile
    1x Lascannon
    1x Leman Russ battle cannon
  • Enhancement: Death Mask of Ollanius

BATTLELINE

Cadian Shock Troops (60 points)
  • 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant
    • 1x Close combat weapon
      1x Drum-fed autogun
  • 9x Shock Trooper
    • 9x Close combat weapon
      1x Grenade launcher
      7x Lasgun
      1x Plasma gun
      1x Vox-caster

Death Korps of Krieg (65 points)
  • 1x Death Korps Watchmaster
    • 1x Plasma pistol
      1x Power weapon
  • 9x Death Korps Trooper
    • 9x Close combat weapon
      1x Death Korps Medi-pack
      1x Grenade launcher
      6x Lasgun
      1x Plasma gun
      1x Sniper rifle

Infantry Squad (120 points)
  • 2x Sergeant
    • 2x Laspistol
      2x Power weapon
  • 14x Guardsman
    • 14x Close combat weapon
      2x Grenade launcher
      12x Lasgun
      2x Vox-caster
  • 2x Heavy Weapons Team
    • 2x Autocannon
      2x Close combat weapon
      2x Laspistol

OTHER DATASHEETS

Baneblade (480 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Baneblade cannon
    1x Co-axial autocannon
    1x Demolisher cannon
    1x Heavy stubber
    2x Lascannon
    2x Lascannon
    1x Twin heavy bolter
    2x Twin heavy bolter
    2x Twin heavy bolter

Field Ordnance Battery (120 points)
  • 2x Ordnance Team
    • 2x Battery close combat weapons
      2x Bombast field gun
      2x Lasgun
      2x Laspistol

Leman Russ Battle Tank (180 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Heavy bolter
    2x Heavy bolter
    1x Heavy stubber
    1x Hunter-killer missile
    1x Leman Russ battle cannon

Leman Russ Punisher (160 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Heavy bolter
    2x Heavy bolter
    1x Heavy stubber
    1x Hunter-killer missile
    1x Punisher gatling cannon

Leman Russ Vanquisher (155 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    2x Heavy bolter
    1x Heavy stubber
    1x Hunter-killer missile
    1x Lascannon
    1x Vanquisher battle cannon

Manticore (150 points)
  • 1x Armoured tracks
    1x Heavy bolter
    1x Storm eagle rockets

As others have said, take what you want. Might not be competative, but if it's a game against a friend then whatever.

Edited by Focslain

1 hour ago, SteveAntilles said:

I took an all Super heavy armour list against a Knight list, and just absolutely devastated him. Wiped out all knights by turn 3.

Tech Priest

Tech Priest

Baneblade

Baneblade

Stormsword

Shadowsword

That's it.

If I had the baneblade kits I would totally take this for the lolz, guessing the shadowsword one-shotted a questoris or two.

• 4 weeks later...

I do not know if there is a such thing as too many.  In fact, I think the more you have the better.  Think of how great rolling up to Apocalypse games with a Regiment of some 15 or more Baneblade/Shadowsword chassis and some cheap sunglasses would be.  Run four in a 2K game and compared to the crazy infantry heavy Guard players dragging seven carry cases, some loose foam trays, and a backpack (guilty) you have a harder job transporting your dice, rules, and other game aids than you do your entire army.

I am just starting work on my second Baneblade, the Fortress of Arrogance, to go with my Valhallan Lord Ilpalazzo.  The upside to the Fortress of Arrogance is that I get to continue to use Yarrick, even if the old man is decoration and not a legal unit.  I need to find someone who can free hand the mural as I progress with it although I may just use the skull pack plus vehicle sized banners made from putty and have it three dimensional as there no way I can freehand that mural like the 'Eavy Metal team.  I also have a now illegal Krieg Shadowsword, the Wrath of Martyrs, as it has no sponsons. With two done and a third in progress I am already thinking I need another.

LordIllPalazzo.JPG.7344ae7427f2c4d67d6d7d3f8782c9c7.JPGNameplate.JPG.81d1e385fa8b11dafd497943535bd179.JPGKrieg01.JPG.49234f13262cc700efc22e68b98654e6.JPG

There's a guy who did a resin version of the mural, as well as a big skull to add on the front. I think it was Dragonforge, I got them for my Fortress. They look pretty nice. Can check in my emails later to be sure.

I'm debating running double Banesword + Baneblade at a local event in November, each babysat by a Techpriest, and supported by Leontus with some infantry and a vox in the back + the Ghosts for actually scoring stuff. There was also space for three Bullgryns as "bodyguard" for the horse boy.

Edit: found it. It looks pretty nice.

https://dragonforge.com/shop/terrain/arrogant-fortress-skull-panel-detail-kit-set-one-1/

Edited by sairence

7 hours ago, sairence said:

There's a guy who did a resin version of the mural, as well as a big skull to add on the front. I think it was Dragonforge, I got them for my Fortress. They look pretty nice. Can check in my emails later to be sure.

I'm debating running double Banesword + Baneblade at a local event in November, each babysat by a Techpriest, and supported by Leontus with some infantry and a vox in the back + the Ghosts for actually scoring stuff. There was also space for three Bullgryns as "bodyguard" for the horse boy.

Edit: found it. It looks pretty nice.

https://dragonforge.com/shop/terrain/arrogant-fortress-skull-panel-detail-kit-set-one-1/

Spectacular.  Thank you for the link, now everything will be perfect.