An aeldari project.

Deekthegreat

Hello all,  so I was working on white scars when I was at my local shop one day and saw a eldar wave serpent and I thought you know I think this could be a lot of fun to do up in an Iyanden scheme,  it’s not 100% finished but I’m super close, during the project I absolutely fell in love with the scheme and how the overall model has turned out, so needless to say I am moving forward on a army of elves, I’m just not playing the hyper competitive version of elves.   So without further commentary here is my Iyanden wave serpent.   

F4675CDB-6506-4818-AD91-E7B981E6CCC1.jpeg

44735600-5518-4A61-937B-E81375457198.jpeg

Yea, that was due to not having the pilot in the cockpit, when I was gluing him in he lifted out and got my thumbprint all over him.   Plastic glue am I right?   I’m currently working on a squad of shining spears,  I know Iyanden is primarily the wraith heavy Craftworld but I really think an entire army done up in the yellow and blue scheme will look amazing on the table.  I appreciate that you like it I was scared people weren’t gonna enjoy it because it does look a little messy.  

So I have finished up my wave serpent, I’ve been testing out various techniques that I’ve never attempted before like edge highlighting and I feel like I went a little crazy with it.  I’m starting to think that less is more when it comes to that.   I’m beginning to paint up my shining spears exarch as well.

AC4A7C7B-38A5-46A1-BFA2-0F67C0E30C89.jpeg

Here’s my WIP on my shining spear exarch.  Just in the beginning stages at the moment.

D3E45DF1-6A56-4865-8C59-22E2AAA45231.jpeg

A little more progress on the exarch.   Yellow is still a nightmare to do with a brush I was so scared I had screwed up.  Still need to do a little more work but here’s some more pics.  

35624A2A-8977-418D-9504-971A3AC4A88F.jpeg

482D1ADF-DBAC-41E3-96A9-68AB43C81C3C.jpeg

I’m loving how they are turning out,  I know it’s probably not a great army build but I think an all bike army done up in this yellow and blue scheme is going to look gorgeous on the table. And this exarch is not done by any means I’m just enjoying getting to show it off because I’ve never enjoyed painting as much as I have been lately.  

They're looking so good! The colours really pop and as you mention will look ace on the table together!

The only thing I would recommend is to maybe change the Green colour for the gems? Currently, they're kind of getting lost in the Yellow and Blue. Perhaps a red would work? IT should help make them pop a bit more but also give you a bit of spot colour too :happy:

Yea, they were a bit of an afterthought.  I’ve been bugging a buddy who’s a commission painter for advice and he said much the same thing that I need a spot color to break up the yellow and blue.     

thank you for the comments,  I haven’t been so excited to paint stuff ever so it’s cool to get a lot of positive feedback.

Edited by Deekthegreat

I know it probably could be better but I’m happy with where it stands now my exarch is finished and now it’s time to get to work on the next 2.  Got a busy few weeks ahead of me so it’ll be a little bit before I make more progress, I’m hoping to have the unit finished excluding basing by the end of October and then it will be a few weeks to save up and bulk buy stuff to hold me over through the winter and my newborn munchkin entering the world.   Hope you all enjoy the pics and @TrawlingCleaner you were 100% correct that red really pops off the blue and yellow.  

0E15944E-BC2F-4486-B239-3766D64B2E07.jpeg

223F97EF-B64A-4AB1-B8C3-78CB411A0498.jpeg

9778D568-92F8-4EFC-BDBF-73A43FA608E2.jpeg

I am loving how the color scheme turned out it was kind of a random smattering of let’s try x and y and it turned out great.
  I’m working on my second member of the squad now,  I’ve just wrapped up painting the jetbike and I’m mad at myself for not doing the wrap around stripe on the exarch.  

image.jpg

I’m currently waiting on 10 shadow specters and a nightwing, and hopefully by the end of the year I’ll have enough saved up to pick up the remainder of what I want for the first 2k army build I’m working towards,  it’s basically something like this, originally it was 2 squads of 6 of the shining spears and shroud runners and then 3 vypers but it is still very open to adjustments I know it’s not hyper competitive but it’s what I think will look cool so.  

Bikes  (1980 Points)

Aeldari
Battle Host
Strike Force (2000 Points)

CHARACTERS

Farseer Skyrunner (115 Points)
    • Warlord
    • 1x Eldritch Storm
      1x Shuriken pistol
      1x Twin shuriken catapult
      1x Witchblade
    • Enhancements: The Phoenix Gem

Warlock Skyrunner (55 Points)
    • 1x Destructor
      1x Shuriken pistol
      1x Witchblade

OTHER DATASHEETS

Hornet (100 Points)
    • 2x Bright lance
      1x Wraithbone hull

Hornet (100 Points)
    • 2x Bright lance
      1x Wraithbone hull

Hornet (100 Points)
    • 2x Bright lance
      1x Wraithbone hull

Nightwing (150 Points)
    • 1x Twin bright lance
      1x Twin shuriken cannon
      1x Wraithbone hull

Shining Spears (240 Points)
    • 1x Shining Spear Exarch
        • 1x Laser lance
          1x Shimmershield
          1x Shuriken cannon
    • 5x Shining Spear
        • 5x Laser lance
          5x Twin shuriken catapult

Shining Spears (120 Points)
        • 1x Laser lance
          1x Shimmershield
          1x Shuriken cannon
    • 2x Shining Spear
        • 2x Laser lance
          2x Twin shuriken catapult

Shining Spears (120 Points)
        • 1x Laser lance
    • 2x Shining Spear
        • 2x Laser lance
          2x Twin shuriken catapult

Shroud Runners (80 Points)
    • 3x Shroud Runner
        • 3x Close combat weapon
          3x Ranger long rifle
          3x Scatter laser
          3x Shuriken pistol

• 3x Shroud Runner
        • 3x Close combat weapon
          3x Ranger long rifle
          3x Scatter laser
          3x Shuriken pistol

• 3x Shroud Runner
        • 3x Close combat weapon
          3x Ranger long rifle
          3x Scatter laser
          3x Shuriken pistol

Windriders (240 Points)
    • 9x Windrider
        • 9x Close combat weapon
          9x Shuriken cannon

Windriders (240 Points)
    • 9x Windrider
        • 9x Close combat weapon
          9x Scatter laser

Windriders (160 Points)
    • 6x Windrider
        • 6x Close combat weapon
          6x Scatter laser

Exported with App Version: v1.4.0 (18), Data Version: v258

I can very easily drop the forgeworld stuff and go back to the all plastic stuff and have fun but I was always feeling like I lacked the anti tank power to hit the big models like the riptide and other equivalents.    I’m really going for rule of cool and not how competitive can I be.   I know that seems counterintuitive because 3 hornets but they’re really there for the big things and they serve as a distraction carnifex as well.

Working on my final shining spear for the unit,  it’s still going but the journey for this unit is almost over.   I know that I can definitely speed this entire process up with an airbrush and I keep thinking that it’s probably time to pick up a new one, I’ve just not had great luck with them before so here’s hoping that sometime down the line when I get a new one it’ll last me longer than 3-9 months.

IMG_3353.jpeg

IMG_3354.jpeg

IMG_3356.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so not much progress to report, I’ve got my final rider for my shining spears primed and got the first layer of contrast down,  and in that time my 3rd part shadow specters and my night wing have also showed up, and I’ve gotten my shadow specters primed as well, my nightwing is still being built but it’s coming along nicely.   Pics to follow.  I apparently didn’t take a pic of the shining spear but I think you guys have an idea of how they look due to how many times I’ve posted pics of them haha.   I’ll update you as I make more progress 

IMG_3386.jpeg

IMG_3393.jpeg

Edited by Deekthegreat