Tyranid Unit of the Week 10th Ed Genestealers and Broodlord

Brother Nathan

++Genestealers and broodlord++

nids background.PNG

Doing a 2 for this week as they only pair together... the feared partnership. Whats your thoughts. Are they much better? Is the extra wound enough? Is the points too high? 

To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)? And at what points restrictions?

What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?

What Enhancements, Hyper Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?

Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?

So i tried these in my first game of 10th against custodians not expecting much. I do think they are spenny... cheaper was preferable to extra stats but then nids need that midway elite melee unit. I was suprised how much that extra wound absorbed. Whilst vastly outclassed by the custodians stealers and broodlord still kick.

I dont see 5 as worth while as it takes very little to wipe them and so pretty much you need 10. The broodlord has recieved such cuts to be worth his own points ... synaptic upgrade  near being an auto include in invasion.

Now the codex has changed the stealers rules are they asworthwhile?

I’d like to try running a unit. They are too much of a risk for your opponent to just ignore, especially with Scott, and the extra wound does help. The change to devastating wounds (whilst the right choice) hurts them a bit. I think they really have to be run as a 10 with a Broodlord to make them worthwhile. 

• 2 weeks later...

ran them again the othrer night vs necrons. the changes didnt help to their ability. output is decent but that second wound has really helped me with their survivability. stacking fnp on them means they really need focused on. still very spenny and such but i do think they have a solid place for a unit... just need very careful smart positioning... 

On 9/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, WAdams2152 said:

They are too much of a risk for your opponent to just ignore, especially with Scott

Who's Scott? :biggrin::sweat:

Still havent had  chance to use them, but heard a podcast suggesting 3x5 units with the seeded whatever enhancement/strat to put 15 stealers in the midtable early on to stop your opponent from pushing out. 

18 hours ago, Xenith said:

Who's Scott? :biggrin::sweat:

Still havent had  chance to use them, but heard a podcast suggesting 3x5 units with the seeded whatever enhancement/strat to put 15 stealers in the midtable early on to stop your opponent from pushing out. 

This is what I'm thinking about. Haven't run the full numbers to see, but the statline doesn't look like they do decisive enough damage to be elite killers.

What they do have, however, is cheapish ap2 damage, which I'd great for clearing line infantry.

I'd consider leaving the broodlord at home and just running 2-3 units of 10 in a vanguard detachment.  Use the enhancement to re-deploy before game start, scout move, then advance and charge. If the enemy doesn't deploy cagey you're likely wiping their infantry base t1-2.