My hopes for the eventual Catachan redesign

I hope they make an entire army of Catachan models possible.

id love to see Catachan tankers and sentinel drivers again.

a Catachan command squad.

catachan HWSes 

and the base kit I hope comes with options to be built as an infantry squad instead of just the specific jungle fighters squad.

I really think they missed an opportunity on the new Sentinel kit by not putting Catachan, Krieg and Genestealer Cult pilots in there. Sure people can kitbash but if they don't want to for whatever reason, just a handful of extra components would have opened that kit up to a lot more players. Maybe they'd deliver Catachan Sentinel pilots via an upgrade kit, a bit like the Cadian one has tank crew and Commander on it.

I think a new Jungle Fighters kit is a matter of "when" rather than "if", but who knows beyond that? They deserve at least a new Command Squad and Heavy Weapons squad to replace the existing kits but Krieg still are just on the single infantry squad 2 years and one Guard refresh later, so maybe Catachan will get stuck with a one-and-done Kill Team release as well.

6 hours ago, Halandaar said:

I really think they missed an opportunity on the new Sentinel kit by not putting Catachan, Krieg and Genestealer Cult pilots in there. Sure people can kitbash but if they don't want to for whatever reason, just a handful of extra components would have opened that kit up to a lot more players. Maybe they'd deliver Catachan Sentinel pilots via an upgrade kit, a bit like the Cadian one has tank crew and Commander on it.

I think a new Jungle Fighters kit is a matter of "when" rather than "if", but who knows beyond that? They deserve at least a new Command Squad and Heavy Weapons squad to replace the existing kits but Krieg still are just on the single infantry squad 2 years and one Guard refresh later, so maybe Catachan will get stuck with a one-and-done Kill Team release as well.

If you want to make more profit you only sell one version so everyone buys them, then a year later offer another version or upgrade sprue. Not only do you get to sell the upgrade you probably sell lots of the base kit as not many people want to pull apart their painted minis. 

12 hours ago, Halandaar said:

The difference is that krieg never had a full mainline GW line of models like Catachan have.

13 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

The difference is that krieg never had a full mainline GW line of models like Catachan have.

Doesn't matter really, when GW brought Krieg into the main range you expect they get the same support as the other regiments which is to say a Command Squad and Heavy Weapon Squad at minimum. Even the old metal regiments had their own heavy weapons teams and commanders, including Vostroyans which came out after the plastic Cadians and Catachans. That Krieg haven't had anything at all other than the infantry squad makes them an outlier compared to the history of GW-produced Guard regiments. 

Anyway, when Catachans eventually get re-done I wonder if they will get anything to set them apart. Infantry, HW and Command Squads seem like a given, but for example a Catachan-specific Field Ordnance Battery kit would seem odd.

5 hours ago, jarms48 said:

Instead of 80's action heroes can we base them off US GI's in Vietnam?

Marines-in-Vietnam.jpg

b0790b_60b34c5fcbe1478fb79bcd55b282b220~

It just screams tacticool Catachans. 

I think that’ll be the most likely outcome based on the newer character sculpts we got

3 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Doesn't matter really, when GW brought Krieg into the main range you expect they get the same support as the other regiments which is to say a Command Squad and Heavy Weapon Squad at minimum. Even the old metal regiments had their own heavy weapons teams and commanders, including Vostroyans which came out after the plastic Cadians and Catachans. That Krieg haven't had anything at all other than the infantry squad makes them an outlier compared to the history of GW-produced Guard regiments. 

Anyway, when Catachans eventually get re-done I wonder if they will get anything to set them apart. Infantry, HW and Command Squads seem like a given, but for example a Catachan-specific Field Ordnance Battery kit would seem odd.

That was also many years ago.

i still wouldn’t consider krieg part of the main range (for 40K)just because they have a kill team available to purchase on the GW website.

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

That was also many years ago.

i still wouldn’t consider krieg part of the main range (for 40K)just because they have a kill team available to purchase on the GW website.

Seems an odd take. Are Ork Kommandos not a part of the range either?

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

Seems an odd take. Are Ork Kommandos not a part of the range either?

Kommandos existed in the mainline ork line up long before their KT release afaik, and are not a sub faction, they’re a single unit.

krieg are an entire subfaction of guard, and have never been a part of the mainline guard range available on GW’s website before the KT kit, and KT is its own separate game, the 40K datasheet is just to allow double dipping.

just like some units released for HH have rules for 40K to allow for double dipping to make the kits appeal to a larger audience.

I kinda hope they get their own vehicle, not regiment locked, but any crew models that come with it being Catachan.

I think a light vehicle with a medium mortar would be pretty cool.

like a taurox or chimera with a mortar between HWT mortar and the old griffin mortar.

maybe two profile

cluster(incendiary maybe?)

A d6+2 S3 AP0 D1

standard

A d3+1 S6 AP-2 D 2

and a stubber as well lol.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cadian Bandstand said:

Like to see a scout salamander....

I mean but why? What niche or role would it fill?

just kitbash one and run it as a scout Sentinel with an autocannon.

give a big tall antenna so it has the same height and boom you’re done

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

3 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Could dual kit with a griffon? Might take some slight redesigning, but GW/FW currently sell neither unit.

image.thumb.png.1411126b46e34983c64d3093236e23dd.png

Does a light mortar vehicle have any more place than a salamander? Genuine question, I actually don't know.
All I know is we got field guns just recently, and mortars don't exactly need to move.

20 hours ago, JayJapanB said:

Could dual kit with a griffon? Might take some slight redesigning, but GW/FW currently sell neither unit.

Does a light mortar vehicle have any more place than a salamander? Genuine question, I actually don't know.
All I know is we got field guns just recently, and mortars don't exactly need to move.

Historically flying artillery has been much more useful than stationary artillery.

im sure it wouldn’t be hard to come up with a fluffy/realistic and useful ability for it as well.

a salamander is just a slightly tougher scout sentinel on tracks

On 10/20/2023 at 2:47 AM, JayJapanB said:

in 5th edition the Griffon was more accurate than either the carrige mounted Heavy mortar or the bassalisk, so that could be its selling point, so something like re-roll to hits of a 1 and if fired against a target spotted by darring recon reroll all failed to hit rolls?

On 10/19/2023 at 6:39 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Give it a pintle heavy bolter and  come with a metagun toting psychic blank driver and the Hero of the Imperium, both of whom are able to use as a dedicated transport and it fills the role of making GW tons of cash off a Guard primarch priced model.

CiaphasCain.jpg.66edc09a14b5262beabfd4b9d76193e5.jpg

On 10/19/2023 at 6:39 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Wow.  I never thought to do that.  Great idea.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a lot of guard kits seemed to be online only, so I just checked and I counted 14/109 kits are online only.

they seem to primarily fall into 2 main categories, non-chimera chimera chassis vehicles, and Catachan, with a few being (mostly)irrelevant like the vehicle upgrade sprue, and pask.

so could this be evidence of a Catachan refresh coming up, or just indicative of GW keeping low selling kits off the shelves?

by making Catachan and chimera chassis kits off of shelves in stores it restricts their availability a bit, meaning GW can sell off the kits they currently have, but can potentially build up a bit of a hunger for those kits in the player base that wants them priming them to spend big on the newly released kits?

or are they just saving shelf space from being taken up by poorly selling product?

On 10/20/2023 at 3:47 AM, JayJapanB said:

I would absolutely love for both of these to return. I think a Centaur would be a good fit for the Catachans too.