Invader ATV question

L30n1d4s

Can Invader ATVs use their ability to shoot an enemy unit that shoots at them, or does it only apply when a different friendly Mounted unit within 6" is shot at? Based on the wording of the rule, I think they can, since they count as a Mounted Unit within 6" of themselves, so provided they survive the enemy shooting, I think they ought to be able to get a free round of firing back at them.

Does this interpretation makes sense, or am missing something here?

Edited by L30n1d4s

:huh:  Tricky....

From page 38 of the rules (AURA ABILITIES):

Some abilities affect multiple models or units in a given range. These are known as Aura abilities and are tagged with the word ‘Aura’. A model with an Aura ability is always within range of its own Aura ability. A unit can be affected by more than one Aura ability at a time, but if a unit is within range of the same Aura ability more than once, that Aura ability only applies to that unit once

But The ATV rules is NOT marked as falling within the AURA ability. And I am not conscious of any rule or rule clarification that change/complete/add subtle interpretation or  anything to this (I searched with "within range" and did not find anything for example).

So my idea of a rigorous interpretation would therefore be that the ATV cannot benefit from its own rule as it is not an AURA and as AURAs are clearly identified on other datasheets...

But once again this is a tricky point that may eventualy be interpreted otherwise...

Arguments in favour of your interpretation:

1. Frankly, if we forget one second of the missing AURA keyword, wordings are strickly similar in structures for reported AURAs characteristics and the present (not AURA) ATV rule. Looks like a misprint.

2. Scanning a sample of other sets of datasheet (Aeldari, Drukhari, SW, Guard, AdMech, Knghts, CSM), I do not met the same casuistic ever, so it looks like it is a very specific case of missing AURA and sharing same troop type keyword in a couple of SM entries - So, wy do an exception? Let´s apply AURA rule as it it was written.

But another argument against:

1. There are other units that similarly lack the AURA keyword in their special rules under close to similar situations (Attack Bike and Invictor suit namely). It is however really relevant only for the Attack Bike as it is MOUNTED too and as its rule affects MOUNTED friendly units. Is this redundancy of missing AURA keywords enough to make one feel that, maybe, this is intentional and not a typo?...  Which would be used as another lawyering argument...

In case of debate, as all arguments may go in one or another direction so well, I would solve it with a pregame agreement or by rolling a D6 

PS1: Let be clear - I DO like better your rule interpretation :thumbsup:

PS2: I hope I did not miss any obvious rule or clarification (as I often do) and that all my written stuff above is not complete bull:cuss:.

PS3: Why do I feel like I have not been of any help?

Names don’t reflect a units rule ability. It’s been an issue for ages. 

After reading the Rule in the Index it without question is a mounted unit and is within range of itself therefore triggering the ability. 

I don’t have love for most vehicles and the new Primaris ones in particular but I wouldn’t blink twice about an opponent using this against me after having read the rule. 

If they didn’t want it to affect the ATV they could simple added language to exempt it. 

@L30n1d4s I just realized why this rule is not an AURA: AURAs affect at units within range radius, whereas this rule affects at the ATV itself and is triggered by what happens nearby... I did not read the ATV rule with sufficient care apparently. 

In that case, I guess that your and @Dracos´s point is likely to be the correct one. And what I wrote before to go to bin.