D1 goin to D0 and halving Damage?

Commander Nicky

Hello everyone

I had a game the other day against a player who was playing Dark Angels. He was deploying 10 Deathwing Knights agains my army. As I (to my regret) learned, the Deathwing Knights have a new rule which state that you have to substract 1 from the damage. He claimed that it meant, that you could not hurt them with D1 weapons. It that true, or have I missed something in the core rules?

Also when Halving the Damage to a Gravis armoured captain, do you round up or down?

Kind regards

You got cheated. Take a look at the rules commentary, page 17 for modifying characteristics. Damage can't be modified lower than 1 (unless the rule specifically states it makes the damage 0). 

When halving, always round up. So for damage 3 and then halved, you'd get 1.5, rounded up to 2. 

Yep, as @BluejayJunior mentioned; if you go to 40k Downloads on Warhammer Community > Key Downloads > Rules Commentary (Updated 07/09/2023) > Page 17 > Modifying Characteristics, you will see that Damage cannot be modified to go below 1, which is what the Deathwing Knights do to incoming damage.

Your opponent may not have genuinely known about this, but I'm guessing as soon as they are those Deathwing Knights won't be bothering you again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 8:11 PM, Commander Nicky said:

He claimed that it meant, that you could not hurt them with D1 weapons. It that true, or have I missed something in the core rules?

This was noticed immediately on release of the edition, however was quickly fixed as bluejay points out!