Anyone used Tamiya Weathering Master?

Go to solution Solved by Evil Eye,

I picked up the Burnt Blue / Burnt Red / Oil Stain set to try for a heated metal effect on the muzzle of a meltagun, but I'm not having any success. The brush end of the applicator is barely capable of picking up or depositing any of the material at all, while the sponge end picks it up just fine but seems to deposit it in globs rather than as a layer. I've painted the muzzle in Stormhost Silver because I figured the weathering master was supposed to be used over metallic paint, but maybe that was a mistake?

Thanks for any advice!

• Solution

Weathering Master is essentially pigment powder, like a very fine pastel. I've used them and rather like them, but there is a knack to it.

First of all, you'll want to collect a tiny bit on the sponge end and then rub off some of the excess on something (a napkin should do the trick). Apply it to the end very gently, and then use the brush end or a Q-tip/cotton bud to blend them out on the surface of the model. Once you've got it how you want it you'll want to fix it in place; you can either topcoat it with an appropriate varnish or alternatively use a dab of pigment fixer (I hear lighter fluid works fine though).

I'd recommend practicing first on some scrap parts. Pigments are very useful, but they do take some getting used to.

Hope that helps!

That helps a lot! Doesn't sound like it's quite as user-friendly as the packaging claims, but hey. I'll keep at it, see if I can get a better effect.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Spong brush in Tamiya kit is prone to break easily. Q-tip is good fix, if you don't get actual sponge brush. I have used Tamiya weathering kits for quite sometimes. Even with foam taken off old mattress. Remember to seal pigments in with  varnish or they will wear off or will stain your hands when you handle them. Just tape bit color and build layers. Red and Blues work really will brighter metals. brighter the metal and smoother the surface, faster you get the results.. You can get similar effect also thinned contrast paints.