New SM codex rules & wolves

lonewolf81

So i saw the stormlance task force 

Super good for thunderwolves. 

You can give them -1 to hit and -1 to wound for 1 CP ( can be done for free with captain rule)

You get can give them auto advance 9'' ( can be done also for free with the captain rule)

You can give them reroll charges and lance ability for 1CP

So if you have a wolflord on thunderwolf along with a wolfguard battle leader leading six thunderwolves you get 20 inches move with rerollable 2d6 +1 charge who have lethal hits and are -1 to hit and -1 to wound and lance all for 2CP. You also get +1 damage from thunderwolves and can give the wolf lords hammer  the enhancement for +2 weapon ap and +2 strength when you charge 

There is also a strat that gives ranged weapons assault rule and if they already have it they get sustain hits 1. Good for a unit like hellblasters.

Edited by lonewolf81

Man, I love that Stormlance detachment. Gives excellent capabilities to our best unit, Thunderwolf Cavalry. 2 full units with captains and battle leaders. That unit will be so fast I don’t know if that units needs battle leaders for Aggressive Hunter.

I need the book in my hands to really dive deep because the other detachments look interesting as well. 

23 hours ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

Man, I love that Stormlance detachment. Gives excellent capabilities to our best unit, Thunderwolf Cavalry. 2 full units with captains and battle leaders. That unit will be so fast I don’t know if that units needs battle leaders for Aggressive Hunter.

I need the book in my hands to really dive deep because the other detachments look interesting as well. 

Am not sure the battle leaders add much

Just a shame that Canis cant combo with another leader. And biker chaplins cant join all mounted units

30 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Am not sure the battle leaders add much

Just a shame that Canis cant combo with another leader. And biker chaplins cant join all mounted units

I have found the lethal hits wlquite decent actually due to the volume of Fire 

Both of those things are unfortunate 

Whilst the Stormlance looks great, I'm not particularly a huge fan of TWC models so I've been trying to look at other possibilities.

The Ironstorm Spearhead is great if you'd like to run predominantly dreadnaughts which Wolves have a variety of!

I must admin, I'm quite drawn to the Vanguard Spearhead. The Goonhammer review of the codex featured a couple of possible lists at the end and the SW one utilized the enhancement The Blade Driven Deep to give a large unit of Wolf Guard Terminators and leaders Infiltrate, whilst being supported by largely Phobos units and general marine goodies. I've been trying to decide whether this could be fun on with a Lieutenant following around Ragnar and some Assault Intercessors (or perhaps Blood Claws, but now 'Assault Marines' no longer exist, they'll need an FAQ before they can be joined by a Lieutenant...). Also being able to spend 2CP to give that unit's melee weapons Precision for a phase could be fun if you really want a particular leader dead. I'm not sure if there is some mild synergy with Arjac Rockfist there.

As for the Firestorm Assault Force, I really like this but not sure if it benefits SW much as it effects ranged weapons, other than if you want to play Salamanders type army lists but with cool SW units added on, perhaps I'm missing something great there!

28 minutes ago, Borky said:

I must admin, I'm quite drawn to the Vanguard Spearhead. The Goonhammer review of the codex featured a couple of possible lists at the end and the SW one utilized the enhancement The Blade Driven Deep to give a large unit of Wolf Guard Terminators and leaders Infiltrate,

I would be more tempted to infiltrate some Aggressors since Termies can already Teleport into the mid-field. Add an Apothecary Biologis and Gravis Captain for some serious pain.

28 minutes ago, Borky said:

As for the Firestorm Assault Force, I really like this but not sure if it benefits SW much as it effects ranged weapons, other than if you want to play Salamanders type army lists but with cool SW units added on, perhaps I'm missing something great there!

I have always found my Wolves work best when the melee elements are supported by short-ranged firepower. Classic units Grey Hunters play very well to this theme with 2 special weapons per squad and superior melee output. They are one of the best Battleline squads in the Astartes range IMHO and can still be bought in 5-man squads which is handy for Razorbacks or filling up spare slots in larger Transports.

1 hour ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Running Canis leading a Cyberwold leading some Fenrisian Wolves looks fun and cheap enough

Though think even without stormlance theyd still have advance and charge?

I have tried this unit and have yet to have it do well. It's just so fragile. Plus canis has no invulnerable save which means the giant pile of wounds cutting through the chaff fall on him once they're gone.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

I would be more tempted to infiltrate some Aggressors since Termies can already Teleport into the mid-field. Add an Apothecary Biologis and Gravis Captain for some serious pain.

That actually sounds like a great plan! What do you think to Ragnar and co Infiltrating?

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

I have always found my Wolves work best when the melee elements are supported by short-ranged firepower. Classic units Grey Hunters play very well to this theme with 2 special weapons per squad and superior melee output. They are one of the best Battleline squads in the Astartes range IMHO and can still be bought in 5-man squads which is handy for Razorbacks or filling up spare slots in larger Transports.

I really like this as a theme for Wolves, but I don't think that Grey Hunters benefit much from that detachment, their rules equate to having Assault Weapons already, though I guess +1 Strength is great if you can get them close enough!

I’ve a actually gone and revamped my list to an experimental 2000 point list to account for the nerf to oath of moment as well as the addition to the stormlance detachment rules. Last time I played I found that I was able to overwhelm my opponent (who loves to use overwatch) by giving him way too many options to shoot at. I ended up locking him into his own deployment just because I was able to move up fast enough and he really didn’t want to get into melee with a lot of my units, which I didn’t give him any option as he had no where to go. I ended up winning because he couldn’t get to any of the objectives.

so as an experiment for stormlance and because I kinda want to try it for giggles.

characters:

Arjac rockfist(whose worked really well)

Canis Wolfborn

Lukas the Trickster (came in clutch!)

murderfang

battle line:

15 blood claws.

10 intercessors.

everything else:

15 sky claws.

Venerable dreadnought (multimelta)

Wulfen dreadnought (axe and shield)

Storm wolf (with the blood claws)

6 thunderwolf calvary

5 terminators with hammers and shields in deep strike

5 fenrisian wolves 

1980 points

How well will this work? I have no freaking idea. This is just for fun and purely to see if the new detachment makes something like this viable. That and I tend to hardly do any shooting anyways most games 

basically going to just mob up on both flanks and possibly down the middle depending on terrain. Throw an ungodly amount of attacks their way and something is bound to get through, right?

Edited by Pureluck

On 10/8/2023 at 1:00 AM, CCE1981 said:

I have been contemplating using Stormcast Eternals Vanguard-Palladors as Thunderwolf Cavalry for a few years now.  Would need three boxes, plus conversion bits to make two Characters and a 6-man squad.

I've been using the Dracothian Guard for this, but their poses are a lot more static than the Palladors. I think the bases are 1cm bigger in all dimensions too which may be a slight detriment.

Can't wait to get my force finished and try out the Stormlance detachment.

• 2 weeks later...

Im leaning into firestorm, i really wuna use the Burning Vengence strategy to drop a redemptor dread from a stromraven onto something & return fire. 

Only issue im running into is the lieutenant changes & them ,RAW, no longer able to join bloodclaws. I loved that 15 man unit with lethals.

Edited by ChronoCub

Blood Claws with Lethal Hits are good but if you are looking for something punchy to run with Firestorm, how about Rangar and 10 Wolf Guard in power armour with Heirloom Weapons and Storm bolters (maybe sprinkle a couple of Storm Shields to tank heavy hits).

Firestorm and gives +1S at short range meaning they are churning out 40 S5 attacks within 12". They can Advance and shoot thanks to the Detachment and then they can still Charge thanks to Ragnar's Advance and Charge rule. PAWG are also really cheap at only 190 points for 10!

I have a predominantly Phobos collection, so I'm really excited to run the Vanguard Spearhead. 

Playing around with giving a phobos cap lone operative, so him and combi-weapon LT can do mission stuff and stay out of fire, and he'll let me re-deploy my 3 Invictor Warsuits, or Eliminators before the first turn starts for fun. 

Still looking to run a unit of thunderwolf with both characters, as it's pretty cheap and looks hard hitting.