Orks in 10th: Three months in

toaae

With a quarter of a year gone by, how is everybody finding the ladz? What's working for you, what's surprised you, what has gotten your gears going?

As I talk about in my blog post, I've played a bunch of games in 10th with my Orks (I think I've already played more 10th than I did all of 9th), and for the most part, I've been content. While I found that we had no play into pre-dataslate Custodes and most strong Eldar lists, I thought the Ork index could play the missions very well. We're able to field a lot of units to do tactical secondary missions, and we can drop a lot of OC on a primary objective to take it/deny scoring.

A few highlights:

• Mozrog and his generic brothers are awesome. They really feel like proppa' Ork warlords, dishing out pain and taking so much of it in return.
  • Flash Gitz! Our best shooting unit, they are a sensation to play and do a great job offering us something worth Overwatching with.
  • Boyz in Trukks are well-priced and that means we can field a bunch of them and do well. Both units typically take more shooting to clear then their points would seem, and both play into the missions so well. While they aren't killing much, they aren't a tax and it feels good to field them.

The negatives for me:

• We aren't very killy. Yes, Beast Snagga units can take out vehicles moderately well, but outside of the WAAAGH!!! round, we just don't have enough punch to get through anything harder than another Ork. We don't have enough AP, which means we struggle into 2+ saves or 3+ when an Armor of Contempt-like ability is available. We also don't have enough strength, really having to rely on [ANTI-VEHICLE/MONSTER] to hurt high-toughness things at all.
  • Our shooting is atrocious. Other than Grot Tanks and Flash Gitz, nothing else has enough shots, strength, or AP to be worthwhile, and even Flash Gitz fall off hard after the first unit (cause you can only get one Kaptin Badrukk). I like to joke with my opponents that after I've done the Flash Gitz, the rest of my shooting is just me wasting time.
  • I don't like WAAAGH!!! I don't like it as a top-of-the-battle-round ability, I don't like it as a once-per-game thing, I just don't like it.

How about you? How you feeling about the greenskins so far?

I've had a few games with the ladz, and I'm overall happy with the army. I agree with the assessment of Boyz in Trukks, mine have done something useful in every game. I also would like us to have a bit more punch/ap, as I've also noticed we struggle with 2+ saves.

I've been having a lot of fun with the Kill Rig! It's worked as a distraction in a couple games, and been a pretty good spearhead in others. I'll have to give Flash Gitz a try.

On 10/1/2023 at 3:19 AM, toaae said:

We aren't very killy. Yes, Beast Snagga units can take out vehicles moderately well, but outside of the WAAAGH!!! round, we just don't have enough punch to get through anything harder than another Ork. We don't have enough AP, which means we struggle into 2+ saves or 3+ when an Armor of Contempt-like ability is available. We also don't have enough strength, really having to rely on [ANTI-VEHICLE/MONSTER] to hurt high-toughness things at all.

10x PK Nobz with a Warboss can snip-snip most anything, can't they? I just rounded out my list with an extra unit and another trukk to put them in. I callz it a Krooz Missile.

Edited by Lucius_The_Temporary
formatting

20 hours ago, Lucius_The_Temporary said:

10x PK Nobz with a Warboss can snip-snip most anything, can't they? I just rounded out my list with an extra unit and another trukk to put them in. I callz it a Krooz Missile.

They are our best offensive threat, but with only AP-2 and D2, they are really blunted by anything with AP reduction and/or damage reduction. Even during WAAAGH!!!, the unit has only like an 8% chance of killing a Redemptor Dread (goes up to like 19% with Unbridled Carnage). Compared to units in other armies, which can leverage re-rolls and keywords like [DEVASTATING WOUNDS], our Nobz just don't have the reliability that I'd like to see out of our "best offensive threat".

That said, I have recently added them back into my lists, as they're the only source for AP-2 attacks. Well, them and meganobz, but point-for-point, Nobz bring more of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question. My app is telling me that i can get 12 burnaboys and 2 spanners for 60 points. That cant be right, right? Or why is no one taking them and is putting them in a trukk?!

I havent played much. But i like the different ways you can seem to go. If you wanna go full beast mode or old trucks eith boys. You can make a lot of things work and i find it a lot of fun to theorycraft this out.

15 hours ago, yan said:

Quick question. My app is telling me that i can get 12 burnaboys and 2 spanners for 60 points. That cant be right, right? Or why is no one taking them and is putting them in a trukk?!

[snip]

Looks like a bug in the app - 12 burnaboys are supposed to have 3 spanners; if you set the unit sizes to that, it correctly jumps to 180 points. Similarly, 8 burnaboys and 2 spanners is correct at 120 points. Every other combination is set to 60 points, which is a software bug.

• 2 weeks later...

Clear, thanks!

They still seem pretty good right?

10 of them in a trukk and drive it up to toast some objective holders.

If they kill the transport they can still cut trough some armour in closecombat.

• 3 weeks later...

I have committed to update my Orks this winter after other army hiatus.
Had a couple good games with a Ghaz / Megas / Deffkoptas, Gork & Morkanaut combo, lots of Boyz, Stormboyz & Gretchin. It is good at taking and overrunning objectives early and certainly close combat with the right CP support. Seems to hit fairly hard. The numbers can definitely bog some armies down.  Good at achieving Tactical/Fixed Objective cards too.

There is a good selection of units that are effective and Leader combos.

Its predominantly an assault army - there is little to buff shooting so its mostly just supporting fire.

Get stuck in! lol