First game from new Tyranid Player

Blade of Sigismund

Just finished my first game playing Tyranids, and thought I would share my notes for general discussion.

Forces:

-        Guard force had a shadowsword, (2) Leman Russ, (3) sentinels, and massed cadian infantry

-        I rolled gaunt heavy (130) with monsters as fire-support and synapse nodes. Detachment was Invasion Force so I could do lethal hits on 6’s vs vehicles.

BLUF:

-        Hormagaunts charged and, with fire support, killed two sentinels T1, then consolidated in to targets behind. Right group engaged a combined group of (50) infantry. Left group engaged the shadowsword. Termagaunts took mid field, and combined with neurogaunts, held the mid and back-field for the entirety of the game.

-        Hormagaunts pinned the shadowsword in place as there was insufficient space to withdraw. Over the course of the game, combined Hormagaunts and termagaunt fire took off 21 of its 24 wounds, and the Hormagaunts ultimately killed it on T4.

-        The Tyrannofex 1 shot a Leman Russ on T1.

-        End result was an overwhelming tyranid victory due to the combined effects of table control, chip damage from the detachment rules, and consistently keeping enemy fire units engaged in close combat. Guard forces were nearly tabled, while the tyranid forces lost approximately (40) gaunts.

Key Points:

-        Gaunts did the vast majority of fighting and damage. More expensive units were frequently unreliable in damage output.

-        Deep strike zones were denied on both sides for most of the game.

-        10th edition mission rules were straight forward and fun to play.  Gambits made the game interesting even beyond the point of primary objectives being decided.