Help me understand the difference? (Space Marine Index cards)

I agree that using the cards is a lot more enjoyable than flicking through an app, and quicker than the codex.

I personally want to avoid using technology when wargaming. For me a lot of the fun comes from the fact that it's a manual game with a strong social component. 

Stuff doesn't last for ever and lack of updates for certain factions was a big complaint in older editions of the game. I don't think we want to go back to the situation of some armies waiting 10+ years for a new codex.

I am torn on the subject of Datacards. Yes they have a limited shelf-life but they do make games faster and easier. I guess the question is whether that is enough to make them worth buying for the 2-3 years that they will be valid for. The answer will probably depend on the player. For people who only game occasionally, maybe not. For people who play a lot and/or competitively, they can usually memorise their rules. Ironically, cards are probably the best value for casual players who play once or twice a month and so won't necessarily commit all their units to memory.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:36 PM, DemonGSides said:

You knew that going in with the indexes though. They told you which indexes were going to be delegitimized right from the beginning when they announced indexes and codexes. 

Oh for sure. Still makes getting them a bad investment, but not intending to imply foul play.

I just personally found them really really antithetical to get. If someone's experience was that they got enough use out of them for the 2-3 months, more power to them

Edited by Marshal Reinhard

On 10/4/2023 at 10:31 AM, Karhedron said:

Stuff doesn't last for ever and lack of updates for certain factions was a big complaint in older editions of the game. I don't think we want to go back to the situation of some armies waiting 10+ years for a new codex.

I am torn on the subject of Datacards. Yes they have a limited shelf-life but they do make games faster and easier. I guess the question is whether that is enough to make them worth buying for the 2-3 years that they will be valid for. The answer will probably depend on the player. For people who only game occasionally, maybe not. For people who play a lot and/or competitively, they can usually memorise their rules. Ironically, cards are probably the best value for casual players who play once or twice a month and so won't necessarily commit all their units to memory.

Keep in your possession a fine tip black sharpie marker, and a red one ;)

I wish I could get around to playing once or twice a month...

the problem is that most people around here won't respond to an invite to play until the day before, nor extend invites until the day of. By they time I'm already booked elsewhere!

Edited by Paladin777