(a Bit More) Lore Marines

MaximusTL

I've always felt that marines on tabletop are  . . . underwhelming in comparison to the lore, to say the least. Of course, Marines can't be on the level of lore, or would be absurdly broken. However, i think that there is alot of room for marines to be closer, so I have been working on some homebrew to make marines feel more elite. this is of course aimed at casual and narrative play.

For ADEPTUS ASTARTES:

• All ADEPTUS ASTARTES INFANTRY and MOUNTED units improve their wound characteristic by 1 and gain a 6+ FnP. if they already had a FnP, they instead improve it by 1.  
    - Scouts  and Neophytes only gain the 6+ FnP.
  • Improve the attacks characteristic of Boltguns, Bolt Rifles, Heavy Bolt Rifles, Sternguard Bolt Rifles, Storm Bolters, Plasma Incinerators, Pyreblasters, plasma guns, and all melee weapons by 1.
  • Replace the profile of Combi weapons with the Bolt Rifle profile (Or the Sternguard Bolt Rifle profile if in a sternguard squad). additionally, depending on the type of comb-weapon, gain a secondary weapon profile:
    - Combi-Melta: [ONE SHOT, ASSAULT, MELTA 2] 12" A1 BS 2+ S8 AP-4 Dd6
    -Combi-Plasma: [ONE SHOT, ASSAULT] 24" A2 BS 2+ S8 AP-3 D2
    -Combi-flamer: [ONE SHOT, IGNORES COVER, TORRENT] 12" A6 BS N/A S5 AP- D1
    Combi Weaons cost +5 points.
  • Reduce the Damage characteristic of all Volkite weapons by one (to a minimum of 1), but give them the ANTI-INFANTRY 4+ and ANTI-MONSTER 5+ special rules. 
  • Change the Power Weapon in the Terminator squad profile to a Master-crafted Power Weapon and change its Damage characteristic to 2.
  • Improve the strength of Thunder Hammers by 2 and the damage characteristic by 1. Thunderhammers cost +10 points.
  • Improve the AP of Crozius Arcanum by 1.

For all Factions:

• Improve the attacks characteristic of Heavy Bolters by 1.
  • Add two new weapon special rules: BOLTER and SCREAMING TEETH. give the BOLTER rule to any weapon with 'bolt' in the name. give the SCREAMING TEETH rule to any weapon labeled 'chainsword', 'chainaxe','chainblade', or similar. both rules have the same effect:
    - When a weapon with this rule makes a critical hit, improve that attack's stregth by one. When it makes a critical wound, improve its AP characteristic by one (this cannot modify the AP characteristic to better than AP-2).

The main thing i'm unsure of is how to modify points to properly balance this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by MaximusTL

I do think Space marines should probably have a higher movement speed, given their strength, despite them wearing armor.

I would caution though, if you push space marines too far, you could get into Primarch and Thunder Warrior territory pretty quickly, given how relatively close stat numbers can be in 40k between models :P

That said, I really like what you've done with the Combi-weapons. That's a really cool idea, I hadn't thought of, but it has a lot of charm.

The remaining canon space marine combi-weapons, just to complete the series:

Combi-Disintegrator [ONE SHOT] 18" A1 BS3+ S6 AP-2 D3

I based it off the custodes disintegrator instead of the ISM combi-disintegrator. And who can blame me.

Combi-Grav [ONE SHOT, DEVASTATING WOUNDS, ANTI-VEHICLE 4+] 18" A2 BS3+ S5 AP-1 D2

Grav guns are powerful things...

Combi-Volkite [ONE SHOT, DEVASTATING WOUNDS, ANTI-INFANTRY 4+, ANTI-MONSTER 4+] 18" A2 BS3+ S5 AP0 D1

Nerfed volkite is still pretty good, all things considered

Combi-Grenade Launcher (Frag) [ONE SHOT, BLAST] 24" AD6 S4 AP0 D1

Combi-Grenade Launcher (Krak) [ONE SHOT] 24" A1 S8 AP-2 DD6

Underbarrel grenade launchers = fun, and also a real thing.

Edited by 40k_fan

• 2 months later...

I'd say the extra wound and 6+ FNP is worth about 4pts per model on a 'squad' and 5pts on a 'single model unit'.

I don't think an extra attack on those various ranged weapons is necessary imo. One can end up in the realm of Ork numbers of die being needed. I think a means of improving Marines quality without changing quantity or any kind is preferable. The BOLTER and SCREAMING TEETH rules a are nice touches and a direction i'd advise on. Each being worth 2pts each on a 'squad' and 5pts on a 'single model unit' 

I've not used Volkite weapons so i will refrain from comment on those.

The Thunder Hammer cost increase is unnecessary imo, they're not the weapon they once were, especially with the Toughness re-scale and not causing 'concussive' or vehicle crew stuns.

Regarding the Terminator power weapon change, again, i think the issue is that elsewhere. Inspite of Terminators getting 4++ and becoming T5, they got done dirty. When Terminators had 'relentless' they were scary. Deep Striking and shooting without penalty, and then moving, shooting and charging in the same turn? ouch! Terminators should be S5 (adjust melee weapons accordingly), Advance Move D3" and shoot or Advance Move D3" then charge. Either make Storm Bolters -1 ap or 4 attacks. 

For Combi-weapons, perhaps have an 'Anti-Vehicle' and 'Anti-Monster' version and keep it simple? 

I agree with your general premise that marines don't feel very 'marine-like'. The range refresh and GW's 'no model, no rules' philosophy has left us in a weird place.