Old Astra Militarum Basing Woes...

Dark_Vengeant
Go to solution Solved by Trokair,

As I mentioned in other posts, I recently returned to the Hobby, and alot has changed. I have toyed around with starting a new Catachan army but since the models are all old web order models, the basing rules have changed.  For instance the characters come with small bases and nowadays it seems all characters use at least 40mm.

After a google search, the resources out there seem to conflict with each other due to several editions of the game. 

For instance: Blasted Horizons: Guide to 40k bases (en-blastedhorizons.blogspot.com)

Basing Guidelines for Warhammer 40,000 - Articles - DakkaDakka | Please don't feed the trolls!

One site says Heavy weapons teams use 60mm while the other says 50mm.

I need help with verifying base size for the following:

Catachan Jungle Fighters (troops) - Guessing 25 mm? 

Heavy Weapons Teams - * EDIT * Looks like the ones I just ordered come on 60mm so they match the Cadians now.  

Command squad - Are these different than troops?  Blasted Horizons says they should be since Cadian Command squad uses 28mm.

Iron Hand Straken - 

Sly Marbo - 

Sgt Harker - 

Edited by Dark_Vengeant

• Solution

Games Workshop website normally states the base size a kit comes with. So I personally would use that as a starting point, then for older models/kits I would look at modern equivalent.

So looking at your list:

• Catachan Jungle Fighters (troops) – They do come with 25mm and as the new Cadian Shock troop come on 25mm as well I would guess any future update for  Catachan would have the infantry remain on 25mm
  • Command squad – in the old days they would have been the same as infantry, but judging by the Cadian Command squad they would now use 28mm.
  • Heavy Weapons Teams – the plastic kit officially come on 50mm, though I think the metal Steel Legion Made to Order a while back had heavy bolter and lascannon teams on 60mm (and missile launcher on two 25mm)
  • Iron Hand Straken and Sgt Harker – the old ones come on 25mm but I would say 28mm is probably better from them, the new plastic commissar and castellan are on 28mm
  • Sly Marbo – the current plastic kit comes on a 32mm

19 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

You can pick up base extenders up on eBay:yes:

I recently bought some to update my eldar to 28.5mm from 25mm

That's a neat idea, I didn't know those were available.   I am starting fresh so I will likely just buy the bases I need. 

On another note the 3 boxes of Heavy Wpns teams I just bought are in fact on 60mm base so no need to change them.  I intend to kitbash a whole bunch of mortar and missile launcher teams with the remaining bits so I will have to buy more bases for this as well. 

Edited by Dark_Vengeant

The kitbashing works well, and you provided you do the following you can get all of the the following heavy weapons out of one kit except for having to choose between the lascannon/autocannon.

1.  For the missile launcher, use standing models and don't use the bipod for the launcher.

2.  For the mortar, use standing models.

3.  For the heavy bolter, prop it up on sandbags or a log or some other bit of low lieing terrain, then use standing guys lieing prone.

4.  You only get 1 tripod, so build it normally with either the lascannon or the autocannon.  If you make the loader standing, you can use the kneeling guy with one of the other weapons.  

5.  You could probably could use the second weapon from step #4 if you mounted it on a low wall or on the ground like the heavy bolter.  You might need to get extra gun handles/arms for the heavy weapon from a vehicle kit, though. 

I did this for my cadians, but don't really have any photos, but I can take some if you want.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

4 hours ago, duz_ said:

Really?
How so? The 50s seem too cramped? 

As others have said, they look better, easier to hide, its just better all round really:yes:

I've always disliked the 60s, always created issues, there was always lots of unused space on the 60mm as well. 

I could go on..:tongue:

On 10/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, Trokair said:
  • Sly Marbo – the current plastic kit comes on a 32mm

I thought that kit comes fully assembled, painted to the highest of standards, and occupies whatever base size, also done to the highest standards, that Marbo wants in any given phase.  Also, you do not get to disagree as he is right behind you, but if you turn around you still will not see him.