Looking for feedback on Black Templar collection

Helias_Tancred

This is what I have so far. Looking for any advice and suggestions. Thanks.

1.     10-man Crusade squad

2.     10-man Crusade squad

3.     5-man Intercessor squad

4.     Impulsor

5.     Predator Annihilator

6.     5-man Sword Brethren

7.     5-man Sword Brethren

8.     5 Terminators

9.     10 Infernus marines

10.  6 Blade Guard Veterans

11.  Ballistus Dreadnought

12.  Castellan with combi-bolter and master-crafted power axe

13.  Marshal with plasma pistol and master-crafted power sword

14.  Marshal with master-crafted power sword and relic shield

15.  Techmarine

16.  Apothecary

17.  Apothecary Biologis

18.  High Marshal Helbrecht

19.  Chaplain Grimaldus + servitors

20.  Emperor’s Champion

All primaris or new versions.

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

Yeah I really want a Land Raider for it! They're just impossible to find atm.

I've been in the hobby for ten years with Blood Angels and Dark Angels. I've got around 10k of each. 9th really burnt me and my friends out, but we've resumed playing regularly since the release of 10th. I play on average once a week, or every two weeks. Still running 1k games to learn the new rules. I don't play in tournaments, I'm a mild competitive player as in I play to win and I like to win but I won't go cheesy or violate rule of cool to do it. I play in my basement or a friends, and my 40k circle is a tight group of us. 

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

Okay, so I'll take the liberty of classifying you as a "normal player" ;)

Overall, I think that you have infantry covered pretty well, especially in the tropps, elites and HQs department. The collection seems all-round balanced. If I were you, I'd focus on adding some more vehicles: maybe 2 smaller tanks (i.e. Rhino-chassis or the small grav tanks) and 1 centrepiece large tank (the aforementioned Land Raider or a Repulsor). I'd also probably want to add some fast moving units: bikes or some jump infantry.

I'd also stick to the models you like.

While it pains me to say this since I don't like Gravis that much, game-wise, I think some Inceptors and Gravis-Melta-Guys would be good additions (Eradicators?).

Also, another Dreadnought wouldn't hurt. The Brutalis is a bit cooler as a model but not that much better than a regular Redemptor who, incidentally, has a nice damage-mitigation special rule (Please remember, I haven't played the game in ages and don't have a good feel of the current rules. They're changing too fast for my liking.)

Kit-bashing some assault Terminators also seems like a good idea - you should be able to get cheap starter kit bodies.

Thanks.

I was thinking of a gravis unit. For my Dark Angels I run 6 aggressors with a biologis nearly every time. They do pretty well. But I wanted to step outside the meta norm for my Black Templars. I was thinking a unit that you don't see as much of early on in 10th, but if used well could hit hard? I was thinking 6 eradicators with a biologis?

I love outriders but they're sorta not good atm, I was thinking a squad of the new jump pack intercessors, or Inceptors? The key for me in any additional units is I want my two Crusade squads and two Sword Brethren squads (or a combo of one and one) to still be the beating heart of my Black Templars army. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 8:52 AM, Brother Christopher said:

Okay, so I'll take the liberty of classifying you as a "normal player" ;)

Overall, I think that you have infantry covered pretty well, especially in the tropps, elites and HQs department. The collection seems all-round balanced. If I were you, I'd focus on adding some more vehicles: maybe 2 smaller tanks (i.e. Rhino-chassis or the small grav tanks) and 1 centrepiece large tank (the aforementioned Land Raider or a Repulsor). I'd also probably want to add some fast moving units: bikes or some jump infantry.

I'd also stick to the models you like.

While it pains me to say this since I don't like Gravis that much, game-wise, I think some Inceptors and Gravis-Melta-Guys would be good additions (Eradicators?).

Also, another Dreadnought wouldn't hurt. The Brutalis is a bit cooler as a model but not that much better than a regular Redemptor who, incidentally, has a nice damage-mitigation special rule (Please remember, I haven't played the game in ages and don't have a good feel of the current rules. They're changing too fast for my liking.)

Kit-bashing some assault Terminators also seems like a good idea - you should be able to get cheap starter kit bodies.

Update:

I've added a Redemptor Dreadnought ...

Terminator squad (from leviathan box)

second Impulsor

second Castellan

Stormraven

Repulsor

Drop Pod

I want to still get: 2 kits of Eradicators to run with my Apothecary Biologis .. I know 6 boltstorm aggressors with the Apothecary Biologis is very meta right now, but I want to do something a little different that I think will still be strong. Add to the "Want List" the Chaplain in Terminator Armor, the jump pack assault intercessor squad, a Gladiator Lancer, a third Crusade Squad, and another 5 intercessors. 

16 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

30K Land Raider kit is modern, full 40K tournament legal, and would be very cheap on secondary market as it would be included in next big bundle box.

Lets caveat that.

Depends on the tournament organizer.  Since the Land Raider Proteus is a seperate data sheet.  Its datasheet exists as "Legends" which is not officially supported for tournaments.  So for tournaments i would check first.  But otherwise it should be fine as a counts as Land Raider Phobos since it is very close in dimensions and at least visually is WYSIWYG if you build the assault ramp version.  So.  Should be fine, just make sure before you get to a tournament and discover their TO is overly strict.

On a side note.  The 30k LR kit is about a decade newer than the current 40k LR kit, so it should be a lot easier to build and should look better accordingly.  (Besides personal preference obviously)

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I've added two more vehicles to my crusade, and a phobos squad.

Land Raider

Gladiator Reaper (which I had already built like a year ago)

Eliminator squad

I still want to add a Gladiator Lancer when they come back in stock.  In terms of more infantry to my crusade, I want to run 6 eradicators, 6 inceptors (~maybe) a 5-man jump pack assault intercessor squad, pick up another combat patrol box which will give me a total of 3 impulsors, 3 10-man crusade squads (which I will run one 20 man, and one 10 man), and another 5 intercessors for grabbing objectives. 

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

Latest additions:

Company Heroes box, thoroughly kit-bashed and Black Templar-ed up.

2 Eradicator boxes. Gonna run 6 plus an Apothecary Biologis.

A second BT Combat Patrol box. This will give me 3 Impulsors, a total of 3 ten-man crusade squads, a total of 10 intercessors, and an extra marshal to have on the sprue in caee of ... who knows?

The bits I needed to make 5 Devastators with 4 lascannons. A good friend loaned me one of his new unopened first generation Black Templar upgrade kit so I could build them with the tabards, etc. since he won't be using them for any first born marines. 

Not too shabby. Other than the Gladiator Lancer coming back into stock, which requires a super fast purchase, I think I'm done for a long time.