Super Strength Decal Softener?

Go to solution Solved by Oxydo,

I was wondering if anyone could help with suggestions for a way to melt down stubborn shoulder transfers. I have Microsol and Microset and they work magic on GW transfers. Unfortunately I have some 3rd party decals that are pretty thick and the microsol only gets them about 90% of the way to the finish line as far as conforming to the shoulder.

Does anyone know of any products that  are available online that might be similar but a bit more hardcore. Or alternatively are there any tricks or techniques that might soften them up.

This going back a few year ago I saw a video of Tamiya Mark Fit Decal Solution and it just shrunk a decal into all the joints on an aircraft wing or body so well, the guy who did the video was clearly shocked at how well it worked.  I've not used it as Microset works for me.

• Solution

You can mix your own with 4 parts Isopropanol and 1 part white spirit/enamel thinner. It's stronger than commerical softeners from what I know and I've even managed to apply Skumb4g Kustom's decals the wrong way around and they are pretty damn thick.

If you still have issues you might need to slice the decal a bit, 3 cuts with a 120 degree angle between them, starting maybe 1/3 or 1/2 from center and all the way to the edge. I usually prefer getting them in position and somewhat stuck and then gently slicing with a fresh scalpel blade. You barely need to touch the decal.

Then just water and a brush to make the edges overlap the tiny bit they need

As long as you have a gloss coat down beforehand you won't damage the paintjob if you're careful.

Attached the vid I got the recipie I'm using nowadays from.

Thanks very much guys,

I’m going to try out the Tamiya MarkFit Super Strong and go with some small slices. I’m a massive fan of Microsol and have been just reapplying more and more applications but it’s just not quite finishing the job. Truth be told these decals are a bit rubbish with very thick plastic and not much glue. But they were the only ones I could find in red with the heraldry that I like. (not a fan of the blast symbols for devastators etc)

You can also use a cotton swap to slowly roll over the decal while the microsol (or equivalent) is on there, which can help, especially with air bubbles. You don't want to be too aggressive with it, though.