Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

23 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Excellent work with those Templars!

It annoys me that the new MkIII pauldrons are so different and make the resin upgrades look mismatched in your first pic. It was fine with MkVI due to it's asymmetrical design, but in Mk3 it stands out too much in a bad way, IMO.

You have a point about the shoulders. For the review I wanted to show what was possible with minimal work and extra purchases. If I decide to properly go back to my Fists I might use resin shoulder pads on both sides. I’ve got tons blank ones spare as all my resin guys have the Fist pad on the left. Or of course I could use the plastic ones and stick transfers on. That might actually be better as then I could have them in both sides. 

1 hour ago, Mandragola said:

I got hold of some of the new Mk3s and converted them for my Imperial Fists. 

Here’s a squad with assault cannons, featuring the new mk3 cuffs!

IMG_7127.thumb.jpeg.70278e9c9b25193a1c9771c4aecb8b42.jpeg

Nice work! :thumbsup: Are these converted from the Terminator Illiastus Assault Cannons? I don't suppose you've got a pic of the rear where the ammo feed connects? 

2 hours ago, firestorm40k said:

Nice work! :thumbsup: Are these converted from the Terminator Illiastus Assault Cannons? I don't suppose you've got a pic of the rear where the ammo feed connects? 

Yes they’re from the terminator upgrades, which I had a few spares of for no good reason (though I can’t find one of the ammo belts, annoyingly!). Here’s a rear view of one. 

IMG_7162.thumb.jpeg.992988faf8926c857f2bcd1caf6de094.jpeg

The ammo belt feels a little bit tight. I found you can loosen it a bit by dunking it in hot water again after the glue has set and pulling the middle down. 

I scraped some detail off the bottom of the backpack to have a flat surface for the ammo box. I’ll need to do a little bit of filling around there, and around the thighs of the Templars. 

Edited by Mandragola

On 10/14/2023 at 6:52 AM, matcap86 said:

And just like that I like them a lot better:

Capturemk3.thumb.PNG.0ece15cdbfb7896270964d4cc033addb.PNG

from https://www.instagram.com/liampaintsstuff

I guess I'm the weird one out here, I really don't like the massive head in comparison to the rest of it.

1 hour ago, Cryptix said:

I guess I'm the weird one out here, I really don't like the massive head in comparison to the rest of it.

It's a helmet, not a head. So the proportions need to account for a proportional head inside it. The new helmets are proportional - which means the Marines suffer from microcephalia.

On 10/16/2023 at 1:49 AM, Mandragola said:

Yes they’re from the terminator upgrades, which I had a few spares of for no good reason (though I can’t find one of the ammo belts, annoyingly!). Here’s a rear view of one. 

IMG_7162.thumb.jpeg.992988faf8926c857f2bcd1caf6de094.jpeg

The ammo belt feels a little bit tight. I found you can loosen it a bit by dunking it in hot water again after the glue has set and pulling the middle down. 

I scraped some detail off the bottom of the backpack to have a flat surface for the ammo box. I’ll need to do a little bit of filling around there, and around the thighs of the Templars. 

Oh wow, the back segmented armour on the legs is really bad. I can see why there was no 360 rotation on these on the GW store. They didn't even bother to add rivits back there which would have been an improvement. Lack of rivits all over hurts the design. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

1 hour ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Oh wow, the back segmented armour on the legs is really bad. I can see why there was no 360 rotation on these on the GW store. They didn't even bother to add rivits back there which would have been an improvement. Lack of rivits all over hurts the design. 

I geuss you never saw Fafnir Rann?

The lack of rivets is certainly a choice. It gives the models quite a different feel from the earlier versions. They're a bit more sci-fi in feel and a bit less steampunk.

There are a couple of rivets on the upper legs and elsewhere. This image hides them behind the ammo feed and stuff. But there are none on the lower legs. I'm not sure why that is, as they wouldn't have been too difficult to cast.

24 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I think it was more of a choice to pay homage to the original design from armour through the ages and we'll likely see more retro elements as other marks are released.

and here i thought they were basically just parimaris armor but  more lines. It kinda looks like MK.10 backleg, doesn´t it?

The more of these I see the less I like them. They've just removed too many small things that I liked about MKIII - the helmet, the legs, the rivets. Maybe they'll look better in person.

For some reason they're $15 cheaper than the MKVI. That's a bit weird.

Edited by Corswain

I just had a random thought while out for a morning run.

Do we think we're going to see an upgrade sprue for the jetbikes? Given the way that the new MkIII have been constructed in line with the MkVI, it should be relatively simple to just sell different Mks of armour for the riders as an upgrade sprue.

As much as I like the MkVI riders, I'd quite like riders in MkII and MkIV when they inevitably re-release those armour Mks.

18 minutes ago, Sky Potato said:

Do we think we're going to see an upgrade sprue for the jetbikes? Given the way that the new MkIII have been constructed in line with the MkVI, it should be relatively simple to just sell different Mks of armour for the riders as an upgrade sprue.

As much as I like the MkVI riders, I'd quite like riders in MkII and MkIV when they inevitably re-release those armour Mks.

That sounds like it would be nice, but probably more interesting further down the line, after breachers and destroyers and Co. can be made in plastic

3 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

I've already typed this once and it didn't post so an abridged version.

Short answer is yes. They're clearly set up for that.

Longer answer, it'll be way way way down the line. We're getting rescaled mkiii before we have assault marines or breachers. 

As we're about 16 months into 2.0 we still lack the bread and butter units of most legions. If you'd have told me we'd have plastic jetbikes before assault marines or breachers I'd think you nuts.

The new mkIII are nice and the rescale is appreciated. However, for the cc orientated legions there isn't a sensible financial option bar recast or 3d printing. The resin despoiler pack isn't an option for the price. I've had 3d printed breacher shields and cc weapons/ jump packs so I can run assault marines. 

The cereberus/ Typhon/ knights are all lovely but why, oh why before assault/ breachers or even upgrade sprues for them, I'll never know/ understand.

9 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

I've already typed this once and it didn't post so an abridged version.

Short answer is yes. They're clearly set up for that.

Longer answer, it'll be way way way down the line. We're getting rescaled mkiii before we have assault marines or breachers. 

As we're about 16 months into 2.0 we still lack the bread and butter units of most legions. If you'd have told me we'd have plastic jetbikes before assault marines or breachers I'd think you nuts.

The new mkIII are nice and the rescale is appreciated. However, for the cc orientated legions there isn't a sensible financial option bar recast or 3d printing. The resin despoiler pack isn't an option for the price. I've had 3d printed breacher shields and cc weapons/ jump packs so I can run assault marines. 

The cereberus/ Typhon/ knights are all lovely but why, oh why before assault/ breachers or even upgrade sprues for them, I'll never know/ understand.

My personal opinion is that they needed the cheaper jump troops to come out after the Primaris ones come out for 40k.

5 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

Do we think we're going to see an upgrade sprue for the jetbikes? ...

Hmmm... We know we have the MkVI Assault Squad and a "Mystery Army" (Solar Auxilia?) over the winter, and then the MkVI Command Squad and plastic Melee Weapons in the spring.

I assume the "Mystery Army" won't "release complete", and so will get some rolling support, interspersed with Breachers and Outriders, Despoilers, maybe, and more tanks. Then perhaps a focus on the other Mk's as Tactical Squads.

What I would guess is that FW might put out resin versions of the other Mk's riders, sold with the plastic (jet)bikes, in the short(er) term, with an eye to plastic "rider sprues" in the other marks a long ways off.