Book Suggestions for Noobs

Hey y'all, 

One of my friends who knows nothing about 40k has expressed interest in reading some BL books to see if it is something that he'd enjoy. As such, I've been compiling some books/series that I think he might like. I'm trying to avoid the Heresy because that's a multi-year commitment and he's just dipping his toes in. Just looking for titles that give a general vibe to the setting that are noob friendly and don't require a ton of background knowledge.

So far I've listed:

Night Lords Omnibus - ADB

Eisenhorn Series - Abnett

Lords of Blood Omnibus - Guy Haley

Apocalypse - Reynolds 

Twice Dead King Duology- Crowley

Helsreach - ADB

I'm also trying to find books from other factions besides those listed just in case he has a "Oh, those guys look cool!!" moment.  If y'all could give me some other good recommendations or if there's something I've missed I'd be very appreciative! 

Thanks folks,

LTL

Edited by LemartestheLost

I don’t know if The Infinite and The Divine is a good intro to the setting from a lore standpoint, but it is a very enjoyable book that I see talked about quite a lot. I think the sheer fun of geriatric robots feuding is compelling compared to a lot of 40k’s more misery/violence focused reads.

Eisenhorn is my go-to for people dipping their toes in the novels. Then it really depends on what catches their fancy after that.

Guard? Ciaphas Cain (it's a bit lighter and more relatable), or Gaunt's Ghosts, or The Last Chancers.

Marines? Any of the Space Marine Battles books. There's too many Chapter-specific novels to mention, but for the big four you have Uriel Ventris' books, Deathwing and the Legacy of Caliban trillogy, Ragnar Blackmanes books, and I forget the Blood Angel ones.

Xenos are much more limited, but Aeldari have the Path of X books, Tau feature in Last Chancers book 2, many options for Orks and Tyranids as the enemy.

I first entered the WH40K universe through reading Horus Rising and the HH*.  Horus Rising is such an amazing book, and so much of the early HH reads are really great fun.  Might be worth a recommendation.  

*fun fact, I literally knew nothing about the 40k universe, only the 30k universe.  It was only when I read Chris Wraight's Leman Russ Primarch novel that I became 100% aware that the Emperor would be slain by Horus and end up on the Golden Throne.  I'm not sure exactly where I was upto in the HH sequence by that point but it was pretty far - probably just before Slaves to Darkness was released.  I still held out hope that the Thousand Sons would be redeemed and become loyalists once more before The Crimson King!

Edited by Ubiquitous1984

I'd also recommend Spear of the Emperor and The Emperor's Gift. Why?

The former is a good introduction on the setting since the Opening of the Great Rift from a human perspective. Astartes feel different and weird instead of taller humans. The threat of Chaos and the overall desperate situation is well displayed and it's got some surprising yet fitting grimdark stuff in it.

The latter if you want to show the "simple" (meant in the best way), yet epic cinematical side of 40k. Great characters, different factions, some insanely cool moments.

I'm biased though cause I love both novels and the Spears, GK and Wolves are among my favourite chapters (the latter leading my top 3 list) so there's that.

Hope that helped.

Kel

I'ed probably recommend getting any of the 40k short stories compilation/anthologies (not the horus heresy ones as most of the short stories are tied to earlier events so you would need to be familiar with events before the short stories takes place) since it gives a new reader what to expect in the 40k universe though the older ones don't exactly fit with the current lore. Steve Parker's Deathwatch: Shadowbreaker is a good starter novel IMO (hope we get a sequel book to it)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 1:46 AM, LemartestheLost said:

Hey y'all, 

One of my friends who knows nothing about 40k has expressed interest in reading some BL books to see if it is something that he'd enjoy. As such, I've been compiling some books/series that I think he might like. I'm trying to avoid the Heresy because that's a multi-year commitment and he's just dipping his toes in. Just looking for titles that give a general vibe to the setting that are noob friendly and don't require a ton of background knowledge.

So far I've listed:

Night Lords Omnibus - ADB

Eisenhorn Series - Abnett

Lords of Blood Omnibus - Guy Haley

Apocalypse - Reynolds 

Twice Dead King Duology- Crowley

Helsreach - ADB

I'm also trying to find books from other factions besides those listed just in case he has a "Oh, those guys look cool!!" moment.  If y'all could give me some other good recommendations or if there's something I've missed I'd be very appreciative! 

Thanks folks,

LTL

As for difficulties in studies, time management is a big one. Balancing assignments, readings, and a social life can be a real challenge.  When it comes to boosting my grades, I've found EduBirdie https://essays.edubirdie.com/java-assignment to be a helpful resource. Their expert assistance with assignments and essays has been a game-changer. It gives me more time to focus on understanding the books I'm reading. What about you? Any book suggestions for those just starting their journey, or tips for tackling the challenges of studying? Let's share the wisdom!

It's great that you're helping your friend get into Warhammer 40,000 literature! I recommend Gaunt's Ghosts Series by Dan Abnett - Although this is a series, you can start with "First and Only," and it provides a look at the Imperial Guard's perspective. Or you can try Rynn's World by Steve Parker - A novel that focuses on the Crimson Fists Space Marine Chapter defending their homeworld.

Edited by Richard_Allen