Losing your unit leader early?

Indy Techwisp
Go to solution Solved by Karhedron,

What happens when a Unit Leader with a Hazardous weapon fails the Hazardous roll and is destroyed?

Is the unit leader removed as normal and now the unit is leaderless?

Do you need to designate a new leader model?

I can't find anything about this interaction in the rules, or anything to point me to where it's stated.

I haven't played in years or even read the current rules but in the past the leader would be removed and the unit would lose the leader. As far as im aware unless your list contains an ability to restore lost models you don't 'field promote' a new leader.

Big caveat; I haven't played the game in 10th Edition so I'm sure someone with better up-to-date experience can correct if needed.

Basically, "unit leaders" are not a thing in the rules which is why you can't find any reference to what to do if they die, the rules treat them just the same as any other model in the unit. Yes a Space Marine Tactical Squad has a sergeant, and we know he's the leader of that squad in the lore, but the only distinction the rules makes between him and the other Marines in the squad is that he can take different wargear; he doesn't even have a different statline any more. That seems to be the case with the majority of models we consider to be unit leaders, like Sergeants, Champions, Shas'ui, Sybarites and so on. They are simply treated as models within a unit with access to different wargear. 

So basically yes, if they die for any reason they are removed and the unit is nominally "leaderless", but that doesn't change how the unit functions because unit leaders is not a concept within the rules. 

15 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

What happens when a Unit Leader with a Hazardous weapon fails the Hazardous roll and is destroyed?

Also, this will only be the case where you give a unit leader a HAZARDOUS weapon like a plasma pistol. hazardous tests are done on a unit basis, so for like hellblasters, you fire 5 guns, roll 5 dice, then you choose who comes off. 

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

Also, this will only be the case where you give a unit leader a HAZARDOUS weapon like a plasma pistol. hazardous tests are done on a unit basis, so for like hellblasters, you fire 5 guns, roll 5 dice, then you choose who comes off. 

So if only one model in the entire unit has a Hazardous weapon, and I fail the Hazardous roll, I can keep picking up models that don't have the Hazardous weapon and continue to fire it regardless?

For a specific example:

Rubric Marines are led by an Aspiring Sorcerer.

That Aspiring Sorc can have a Plasma Pistol.

If I have a full unit of 10 Models, I would need to have the Plasma Pistol cook off 10 different times before I am forced to remove the Sorcerer holding it, correct?

• Solution

No, as Xenith says, having a leader with a Hazardous weapon is about the only time this can happen. From the main rules:

Each time a unit is selected to shoot or fight, if one or more models attack with Hazardous weapons, then after that unit has resolved all of its attacks, you must take one Hazardous test for each Hazardous weapon that was just used by rolling one D6. For each roll of 1, that test is failed and one model in that unit equipped with a Hazardous weapon is destroyed (selected by the controlling player)

To take your specific example, if the Aspiring Sorcerer is the only model in the unit to have a Hazardous weapon then he is the model that you must remove if you roll a 1 on your Hazard test.

As above.

In a unit of 10 hellblasters, for example. You supercharge, and roll hazard tests. You do not roll on a per model basis, but as a unit. You roll 10 dice, then for each 1 remove a model with a hazardous weapon. It doesn't care exactly which weapon misfired, you just lose a model of your choice. 

I guess you could game it a bit if you had a psyker with a hazardous power in a unit with plasma pistols or something. Psyker uses hazard power in the shooting phase, if they roll a 1, remove a dude with a plasma pistol. The rule just says remove a dude with a hazardous weapon, not one that fired a weapon in hazardous mode.