Anybody want a Chainsword?

1 hour ago, Brother_Angelus said:

It'll probably get taken down. KS prohibits replica weapons and it's clearly infringement. 

I did not know this, but being there ISN'T a real version of the weapon, is this really a replica?

1 hour ago, Cactus said:

The blade moves upwards, away from the hilt. Is that backwards or have I been imagining chainswords wrong all these years? :blink:

What do you mean - you think it moves upwards, or it does in the vid? The video shows the chain moving on the front down towards the hilt, which is correct! 

@LameBeard and @Xenith you're correct. I missed the video at the top of the page where it's a lot clearer and running towards the hilt. The YouTube video still looks to me as if it's running the 'wrong' way but I'm sure now that it's just an optical illusion.

Those look very nice! I hope the production models look good, I assume the FDM parts will be processed/treated after printing to minimize the layer lines. I rather fancy the Chaos one...

Also the insane part of me is wondering if you could replace the motor with something more powerful and the chain/teeth with metal parts, creating a (totally impractical) chainsword capable of actually cutting things. Would certainly make trimming the hedge more interesting!

In one of the Ciaphas Cain novels he explicitly mentions the option to reverse the direction of spin, allowing a proficient wielder more options in combat.  That aside, the problem is this will not cut trees and stuff down which killed my brother's enthusiasm.  He is a man who actually weeds with a flamethrower so it not being a real life chainsaw sword might stem from looking at how a nonfunctional cutting ability would detract from his live art productions. "What do you mean I cannot take down my 30' wooden sculptures with a sword that is a chainsaw?  If anyone needs me, I'll be outside weeding the bushes."