What is the big deal with Fuegan?

Karhedron

Greeting fellow Seers, I come to pick your collective brains. I have seen several competitive lists doing well in the meta at the moment running Fuegan on this own (no supporting squad) and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

He has a decent balance of melee and shooting and he does have the ability to resurrect on a 2+ the first time he is killed. But he doesn't have any protection like Lone Operative or similar. Even if you count his resurrection, that is still only 10 T3 wounds that the opponent needs to chew through and with OC1 he is not going to contest Objectives particularly well.

So what am I missing? Does anyone know how people are using him effectively?

My guess is that he's a relatively survivable with the 5+ FNP, 2+ armour save and 4+Invuln + resurrect as you say.

You can Strategic Reserves him, drop him in somewhere to either snipe a Lone Operator, tie up some chaff or a small marine squad, do an action. Even Searsong is s14, -4 ap, Melta 6 + D6 damage when within 9" so he can also drop a vehicle if needed? Between the Beam profile and the Axe, he's actually a pretty fantastic Marine killer

With his low Toughness, Wounds but 2+ armour and 5+ FNP you need to over commit to kill him which he then just resurrects from. If you don't deal with him he has the potential to spike damage and drop something you need alive.

For 115 points, he's pretty flexible!

1 hour ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

115 points

Absolute steal for 115pts! When I think a carnifex is 125 for half the defensive profile and below half the damage output...Strat res on him means your opponent will have to avoid large sections of the battlefield or eat an average 9 wounds, and then significantly deviate to said section of the battlefield to deal with him. 

Edited by Xenith