3 Way Game

Greetings Fraters

I am considering a 3 player game with a buddy and my brother.

Did anyone of you try this in 10th ed yet?

Are there any issues i have to be aware of?

One thing that comes to mind is CP generation.

Would you rather recommend a FFA or a 2v1 kind of castle siege game?

The siege style game could be maybe 1000p and1000p vs 1500p where the bigger army gets a very entrenced pisition with lots of los blocking terrain where the attackers have to attacknover no mans land.

Maybe somne can point me towards a fun scenatio i could refer to.

Happy to share some thoughts with you! :biggrin:

Edited by Maschinenpriester

I used to play 4P FFA in 2nd / 3rd Ed. regularily, and one thing we worked out quickly was the turn seqauence needed to be modified to stop peeps getting bored with long peroids of downtime, we settled on a version of alternating activation. Each Game Turn would start with a rolloff, with the high roll selecting their place in the activations for that turn (actually, quite like Blackstone Fortress with the player cards) then the group would run through a full turn sequence with one unit each, then a second unit each and so on, working through everyones list each turn (we marked "used" units with a Red die). For tenth, you could probably just track on the Index Cards somehow.

There was a specific 3-player scenario in "IN NOMINE IMPERATORIS" during 3rd or 4th 40K. It´s title was "Trügerische Verbündete" in German (Engl.: Treacherous Allies). Maybe you can find it somewhere on the interwebz. Apart from that I strongly suggest to not play 3-player scenarios without putting some thought into it because they tend to cause a lot of grief for player (e.g: two players ganging up on the other one).

Better alternative would be to give one player double the number of points and the other two play together.

Thanks for the replies so far!

18 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

I used to play 4P FFA in 2nd / 3rd Ed. regularily, and one thing we worked out quickly was the turn seqauence needed to be modified to stop peeps getting bored with long peroids of downtime, we settled on a version of alternating activation. Each Game Turn would start with a rolloff, with the high roll selecting their place in the activations for that turn (actually, quite like Blackstone Fortress with the player cards) then the group would run through a full turn sequence with one unit each, then a second unit each and so on, working through everyones list each turn (we marked "used" units with a Red die). For tenth, you could probably just track on the Index Cards somehow.

I think i would not dare to switch to AA yet. (Even though i think it would be great for 40k) because my brother would kind of like to try out the 10th ruleset.

But i get where you are coming from.

7 hours ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

Apart from that I strongly suggest to not play 3-player scenarios without putting some thought into it because they tend to cause a lot of grief for player (e.g: two players ganging up on the other one).

Better alternative would be to give one player double the number of points and the other two play together.

I will try to find the source you are referring to. Thanks!

But yes in general i am quite aware of that, which was why i started that tread.

In general i think a 2v1 with unbalanced forces could be easier to pull off.

Many things could get wonky in a FFA.

Also melee comes to mind here.

What happens if 3 players are in locked CC? Do cc units activate 3 times per turn?

15 hours ago, Maschinenpriester said:

Thanks for the replies so far!

I think i would not dare to switch to AA yet. (Even though i think it would be great for 40k) because my brother would kind of like to try out the 10th ruleset.

But i get where you are coming from.

I will try to find the source you are referring to. Thanks!

But yes in general i am quite aware of that, which was why i started that tread.

In general i think a 2v1 with unbalanced forces could be easier to pull off.

Many things could get wonky in a FFA.

Also melee comes to mind here.

What happens if 3 players are in locked CC? Do cc units activate 3 times per turn?

If you don´t find it I can provide you with the details as the relevant book is still in my possession. The scenario was without a question the most entertaining one from the past editions.

Here is the mission Trügerische Verbündete:

https://ibb.co/album/MBPDSB

Anybody who wants to replay it with a more modern edition should keep in mind that missions back in the day were played with a FOC (Force Organization Chart) which limited units per army. It read for the standard missions like this:

HQ:

Single character models. In case of space marines those were captains, chaplains and librarians. Apothecaries & techmarines were upgrades in command squads. During 4th and/or 5th 40K the techmarine was put into the Elite slot with his servitor minions.  Command squads allocated to a character model were considered as a single unit selection which also included their transport vehicle, if it was a rhino or razorback in the case of space marines. Land Raiders were a support unit choice respective for space marines.

- 2 max. & 1 min.

Core:

Your grunt units. In the case for space marines those were tactical squads & scouts. Only these type of units were able to hold objectives.

- 6 max & 2 min.

Elite:

Veteran units. In the case for space marines those were terminators and veterans in power armour.

- 3 max.

Fast:

Swift units of the army. In the case for space marines those were assault marines, bikes, land speeders as well as trikes.

- 3 max.

Support:

Battle tanks and artillery mounted on tank chassis. Infantry carrying mostly or exclusively heavy weapons fall also in this category.

- 3 max.

Notes:

The dreadnought was considered a support choice during 3rd 40K. This unit shifted during 4th or 5th into the Elite slot for GW reasons. Cheap transport vehicles like rhinos, razorbacks and drop pods were labelled as dedicated transports. They did not use up any slots but were attached to a unit which they would ferry around the battlefield.

The most important rule:

Tweak the rules as much as your model collection allows it. Have fun!

I have cooked up a scenario for the halloween weekend which I will try out with my buddies.

I after I thought about what is most important for me, i figured it is fun, and that noone has to watch rest of the game for hours after beeing tabeled turn 2. So I implemented two mechanics in order to manage this issue. First the secondary mission forces you to attack both players. Second If someone ends up beeing tabeled, they may still partake in the game as some sort of NPC faction.

I am starting to get really exited about trying this out.

Maybe someone who is interested can give me some C&C on it.

I will see if it is necessesary to implement additional early game protection like it is done in the scenario Deus Ex Machina shared.

Fields of Discord.pdf

Edited by Maschinenpriester