Starting Astra Militarum - 2 Combat Patrols?

Gaius Atticus

Hey all. Thinking of doing 1k points of Astra Militarum. What's the best way of going about putting 1k together? 2 combat Patrols seems to be a quick and easy way, and it's relatively cheap too. However, I'm not sure 4 field guys and 2 command squads is particularly useful. Although I do like having 4 squads of fodder to march into the meat grinder.

Any ideas of what to add to get the additional 500?

Most of the stuff in the box is pretty nice. Sentinels are great, you always need troops, the officer in the Command squad can be a Castellan if you like.

The FOBs are a bit pants rules-wise, but they're still cool models. And you don't buy models for their current rules when you're starting an army, you buy them because you like the look of the stuff. Otherwise you're just chasing disappointment.

Beyond the starting boxes you can basically get anything. Russes are cool, so are Chimeras and artillery. The rumoured christmas box is also interesting, it's supposedly going to be a Commqne Squad 20 Cadians and 2 Rogal Dorns.

6 minutes ago, sairence said:

Most of the stuff in the box is pretty nice. Sentinels are great, you always need troops, the officer in the Command squad can be a Castellan if you like.

The FOBs are a bit pants rules-wise, but they're still cool models. And you don't buy models for their current rules when you're starting an army, you buy them because you like the look of the stuff. Otherwise you're just chasing disappointment.

Beyond the starting boxes you can basically get anything. Russes are cool, so are Chimeras and artillery. The rumoured christmas box is also interesting, it's supposedly going to be a Commqne Squad 20 Cadians and 2 Rogal Dorns.

How much is that christmas box likely to go for?

1 hour ago, sairence said:

No clue. There's a speculatiom thread in the news section somewhere, think people had some ideas on pricing based on previous years. You could have a look there. :)

Cheers sir. That box combined with the combat patrol sounds like it could get me plenty of troops, and then the tanks gets me an easy 500 points.

I would have gone with a pair of Baneblades because it is a delightful kit ripe for all kinds of stowage and decoration plus it clocks in at 480 points each.  You can magnetize all but the Stormlord with ease and even that variant just needs some extra planning.  May not be the best choice, but definitely a fun one.

All joking aside (or was I?), as others have pointed out a Christmas box might be the best deal if you wait. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the Christmas box:ermm:

Dorns arnt exactly fantastic for their points, especially if you start adding enginseers. 

My biggest issue is if they get tagged in combat, -to hit is just:down:

However, If its a substantial discount on two dorns, then the inf are handy to have,

and then they might be a handy back up at some point. 

The Dorns are excellent as they are already. Ran one a few times now and am a convert. 

Their damage output is notably above what Russes can usually do, the T12 is a great breakpoint and the ability to blank damage once has been relevant way more often than I would have expected. Add that to the extra wounds and it sticks around way longer than a Russ.

Yeah, it can get tagged, but so can every other unit and honestly, that's what screening is for. 

I'd be tempted to pick up two Combat Patrols, a box of Kasrkin, sell the FOBs (they don't appeal to me) and then use the money from the FOBs for something else. Maybe Chimeras as I'd love to do a "Cadian Blood" inspired army (sod's law I'd buy them and they'd release a new one with Autocannon turret).

I currently have a single AM model, the Warhammer + Kasrkin Sergeant, can't help but feel he needs some buddies.

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Christmas box went for about $250 tbh
each dorn is $100 separately 

The box is 180€ from GW, not sure about Dollars right now. But the topic in the News forum has all the prices and savings.

Edited by sairence