TWC Proxies?

TheNicronomicon
Go to solution Solved by Karhedron,

Considering sticking a Fenrisian Wolf and a bashed jump pack marine (with shield and relic weapon) on a 60mm base as Thunderwolf Cavalry proxies. Mostly because I do not want to spend a ton of money on nearly-decade-old firstborn models. 
How much pushback could someone expect if they brought a couple units of those to a game? Would it be better to look for 3d printed proxies instead?

There is no definitive answer neither lawful endorsement.... It will really depends on where and with who you play.

I, personally, would not have any issue about it if it is crystal clear from the begining.

But it would probably not be the case everywhere: there are some people I know who, without being too rigids, might eventualy consider it is too far away from the genuine model. So that it might led to misunderstanding if you also field other jump pack infantery... And they might advocate it is better to go for 3rd parties proxies that are closer from a bestial mount... 

I have more difficulty to understand the "economic motivation": if you do not already own the needed bases, wolves and marines miniatures from extra/preowned models, I am not too sure the gain is so obvious.

If you go 3rd parties, neither do I see why it should be better getting eventually more recent models (but with potentially shorter life expectancy too) than getting the ones from GW (even if designed some years ago). The Price must be really lower to justify it.

But, if you favour the modelling aspect other the rest of parameters, why not...

39 minutes ago, Bouargh said:

There is no definitive answer neither lawful endorsement.... It will really depends on where and with who you play.

I, personally, would not have any issue about it if it is crystal clear from the begining.

But it would probably not be the case everywhere: there are some people I know who, without being too rigids, might eventualy consider it is too far away from the genuine model. So that it might led to misunderstanding if you also field other jump pack infantery... And they might advocate it is better to go for 3rd parties proxies that are closer from a bestial mount... 

I have more difficulty to understand the "economic motivation": if you do not already own the needed bases, wolves and marines miniatures from extra/preowned models, I am not too sure the gain is so obvious.

If you go 3rd parties, neither do I see why it should be better getting eventually more recent models (but with potentially shorter life expectancy too) than getting the ones from GW (even if designed some years ago). The Price must be really lower to justify it.

But, if you favour the modelling aspect other the rest of parameters, why not...

I have a bunch of Intercessor bodies & 3d printed jump packs. 60mm bases are cheap. My thought was to take the bodies i have, find some shields, and buy some wolves. Then I'd magentize the 60mm bases so I could pull the wolves and Marines off the base if desired. (I'd probably build up the bases to disguise/blend the magnetized bases into it. Don't want it to look like 2 models just randomly sitting on a base, you know?) Basically I think I'd be looking at around $100 for some combination of 10 or 12 TWC & WGBLs/WLs. (I'd just repurpose my bashed jump captain as the wolf lord.) All the rest of my dudes are Primaris, and I strongly dislike the firstborn dimensions, as tempting as the models themselves are.

• Solution

Personally I would not have a problem provided the following:

1. The base size is correct
  2. My opponent informs me before the game starts
  3. The models are distinctive so I will not risk mixing them up with something else.

I actually find well-done proxies cool and thematic. I had one opponent who had some 3rd party werewolf models that he had like giant Wulfen that he ran as TWC and no one ever had a problem with that.