Using Calgar with Heroes of the Chapter.

Prot

So has anyone tried it?

it does feel like a hard sell compared to the Biologis combines with the Aggressors. What do you think? 

I may give it a shot this week. I do believe it may hit hard and it’s fairly cheap. 

Edited by Prot

4 hours ago, Prot said:

So has anyone tried it?

it does feel like a hard sell compared to the Biologis combines with the Aggressors. What do you think? 

I may give it a shot this week. I do believe it may hit hard and it’s fairly cheap. 

You can still stick a regular lieutenant in with the Company Heroes - which gets you the same stuff, the company heroes just don't have the rate of fire.  They're a good unit for flanking/harassing with a couple of shooters (Devastating MC Bolt Rifle, and the Heavy Bolter) and a couple choppers (Captain, and the Champion) - but I see them as more of home for Uriel Ventris while he Deepstrikes Calgar and his unit - I'm tempted to do Bladeguard Vets for 9 models with a 4++ and super swords or better probably in First Company, Vanguard, and possibly Stormlance formations to make the Bladeguard beefier. 

It does get you something similar but it’s quite a vehicle for getting Calgar in close combat fir dirt cheap. I just wish some other decent character could be slotted in there to really capitalize. 

Don’t get me wrong I do like Calgar with Aggressors but just looking to get those great looking models into the list!

On 10/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, Prot said:

It does get you something similar but it’s quite a vehicle for getting Calgar in close combat fir dirt cheap. I just wish some other decent character could be slotted in there to really capitalize. 

Don’t get me wrong I do like Calgar with Aggressors but just looking to get those great looking models into the list!

That's why I said stick Ventris in the Heroes.  Calgar hops in with Aggressors or Bladeguard, Ventris hops in with the Heroes, Ventris Deep Strikes Calgar, before working to harass/flank. 

11 hours ago, Tacitus said:

That's why I said stick Ventris in the Heroes.  Calgar hops in with Aggressors or Bladeguard, Ventris hops in with the Heroes, Ventris Deep Strikes Calgar, before working to harass/flank. 

That definitely makes sense. The issue I'm having is I'm using too many characters. I find them very tempting to make these 'mini-combos' that end up making the list fairly inefficient. So in my case I guess I'll just try it out.

Truthfully I just bought the Company of Heroes because they scream Ultra to me. :) 

But my characters that I've been using are: Tigurius (w/10 Sternguard), Calgar (w/6 Aggressors until now), Biologus (w/Aggressors) and Termie Captain (w/ 5 Termies)

I actually also like using Heavy Intercessors. People just don't like dealing with them, and on an objective they can get spicy. So the Biologus could go there, but probably not work it for anything competitive.

Calgar I have found is a decent beatstick. I think being -1 to wound, and using Calgar's guard to tank, and perhaps adding an LT or something might spice it up more and make it pretty hard to get rid of. 

I'll try it tonight and see what I think of it.

13 hours ago, Prot said:

That definitely makes sense. The issue I'm having is I'm using too many characters. I find them very tempting to make these 'mini-combos' that end up making the list fairly inefficient. So in my case I guess I'll just try it out.

Truthfully I just bought the Company of Heroes because they scream Ultra to me. :) 

But my characters that I've been using are: Tigurius (w/10 Sternguard), Calgar (w/6 Aggressors until now), Biologus (w/Aggressors) and Termie Captain (w/ 5 Termies)

I actually also like using Heavy Intercessors. People just don't like dealing with them, and on an objective they can get spicy. So the Biologus could go there, but probably not work it for anything competitive.

Calgar I have found is a decent beatstick. I think being -1 to wound, and using Calgar's guard to tank, and perhaps adding an LT or something might spice it up more and make it pretty hard to get rid of. 

I'll try it tonight and see what I think of it.

If you want to try something, try sticking Tiggy and maybe the Sternguard on the shelf.  Sternguard feel like they're still best in a Pod Bomb - and the Pod is still max 10.  And/Or the Terminator Captain with the Termies.  I can see how you might be right about too many small combos - I like the way this new edition builds small combos that you build your army with, the trick I think is makeing the small combos work together for bigger ones.   So I'd ask you, how do your small combos interact with each other?  For example Ventris Catapults Calgar and Bladeguard forward, who then tank all the things, while Ventris and heroes run up and around to shoot everything in the back. 

If you want to have some fun, try running Guilliman next to some Infiltrators with a Phobos Libby.  Infiltrators can't be shot from outside 12.  Guilliman can't be shot from outside 12". Enemies can't deepstrike within 12".   With the right formation/shenanigans, you can back 6" away if someone actually DOES move within 12(ish) inches before their shooting phase.  Unless you want to charge them with the big beat stick. 

Those are some good thoughts. For now I’m trying to avoid Guilliman… I try to get him in the army after I’ve painted about 2k. 

anyway the experiment was a bust… lol. I’m renaming them the ‘company of zeroes’. 

Sisters just ripped that squad apart, smoking Calgar as well. Which is okay, since the did the same thing to a squad of Termies with Captain, in cover. Crazy. I never lost those Termies so fast. 

Absolutely.

The sad part is that they look amazing to me. I just really wanted to field them, and have motivation to paint them because (to me) they scream Ultra's.  But yea, it's just a hodge podge mismatch of a unit that doesn't really do anything.

Back to Aggressors for Calgar!

But thanks for some ideas. I admit although I love Tigurius, I am considering just podding in my 10 Sternguard and trying a different character here or there. (I have only used the Leviathan Lt, but it does seem we could get some use out of the LT's in a few areas.)

On 10/22/2023 at 4:30 AM, Tacitus said:

They're sort of a bi-polar squad.  2 shooters, 2 choppers - not really fully one or the other for best usage... 

True but they are pretty cheap for quite a spicy squad, even if it is not very focussed. Add an Lt with Forged in Battle so you don't have to fish for 6s and they can do quite a lot of work.

I think what you’re suggesting is possibly the best case scenario for the unit. Once yo add Calgar it needs to do more as you’re investing so much in it and Calgar has to perform. At least that’s what I found. 

keepin it cheap is probably best. I’ll probably revisit this in a future game. 

As a side note the sisters were shockingly good and vaporizing elite infantry exacerbating the issue. As mentioned I have not, in 10th edition, lost Calgar, Victrix, Heroes and Termies so fast before. ( Val reminds me 9th Ed Guilliman… the good ol days)

On 10/23/2023 at 2:48 PM, Karhedron said:

True but they are pretty cheap for quite a spicy squad, even if it is not very focussed. Add an Lt with Forged in Battle so you don't have to fish for 6s and they can do quite a lot of work.

If I'm putting Forged in Battle anywhere, I'm putting it on the 6 BGV, 2 Victrix guard, Storm Shielded Lieutenant, and Calgar for 10 models able to take turns declaring I'm just picking a 6 for this Invulnerable save.