Metwatch Votann 3rd place!

Progenitor

I have noticed in my crusade games that starting with the extra judgment tokens just plays smoother. I don’t have to wait a turn or two for stuff to have died in order to use the faction ability. Also with more units to mark at the beginning I am much more like to the got the CP boost at a reasonable point in the game. Before I sometimes did not get it till turn 5 or even not at all.

While the turning into a horde is not desirable, and I sometimes feel that the extra units I can add as a result of the points drop (based on what I have, not what is theoretically) don’t do all that much I have not been tabled since the change.

Only played 1 game with my LoV post-balance update and I felt kinda bad for my Tyranid opponent during that game. 

Marking 4 targets is an substantial power increase (naturally) and I can honestly see it get lowered to 3 targets in a future balance update.

Points-wise I'd say we are in a good spot right now. Nothing feels overpriced to a point where it's a liability and nothing feels particularly underpriced either.

Are we a semi-horde army? Yeah but so are most "WS/BS 4+ with some 3+ armies" in 10th, like SoB and AdM.

The only "issues" with LoV right now I'd say is Uthar and the Grimnyrs', and neither can really be fixed with pts-adjustments as much as they need rewrites to their rules: Uthar it basically a worse* Khal that costs more for some reason, and the Grimnyr simply doesn't offer anything worthwhile over other Leaders or even simply taking more Hearthkyn. 
(*+20 pts for a slightly better statline, but also loses Kindred Hero for two pretty meh and gimmicky special rules? Downgrade in my book.)

With that said, all things considered, I'd say we're in a pretty good spot right now. Enjoy it while it lasts. :thumbsup:

Edit: Might get a second game in against the same opponent this weekend.
Gonna field a similar list, except 1 Hekaton and 10 Warriors have been replaced with 10 Hearthguard and Appraising Glare:

Spoiler

1x Iron-Master (Thunderkyn)
1x Champion /w Appraising Glare (Volkite-Guard)

1x Kahl (Plasma-Guard)

10x Warriors /w Bolters, HYLas Autorifle and HYLas Rotary Cannon.
10x Warriors /w Blasters, HYLas Autorifle and HYLas Rotary Cannon.

6x Thunderkyn /w Grav
10x Hearthguard /w Volkanite, Concussion G.
10x Hearthguard /w Plasma, Blade G.
5x Berserks /w Mauls
5x Berskers /w Axes
3x Pioneers /w HYLas Rotary Cannon.

3x Pioneers /w HYLas Rotary Cannon.

1x Hekaton /w SP Conversion Beamer, Twin Bolt-Cannons (Blaster Warriors)
1x Sagitaur /w HYLas Beam Cannon (Berserks)
1x Sagitaur /w HYLas Beam Cannon (Berserks)

Edited by Minsc

Quadrupling the power of our detachment ability and giving the army more units on the table definitely made a difference.

That said, the current playstyle is not for me. To me, it feels like the "I'm not smart - I'm stupid faster" meme.

Rather than worry or stress about what GW's rules team is going to do, I have just been taking my dwarves out for games of Grimdark Future instead. Gives me the motivation to keep building and painting new units, and no need to worry about nerfs, buffs, or meta swings. And for a bonus, it does not take that many units to make a full game.

Glad people are getting more enjoyment out of putting their dwarves on the table now though! In the end, fun is what matters (and grudges, always more grudges).

10 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I dont know much about Votann in general but how to you play these as they have super short range and movement? They cant be loaded in transports either

Reserves. Bring them in from a board edge and try to blast something. You can also walk them up to bully the middle of the board. That is about it.

20 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I dont know much about Votann in general but how to you play these as they have super short range and movement? They cant be loaded in transports either

I usually walk them up the board. There's a high probability that they won't get to fire on turn 1 but ...that goes for the majority of a LoV-army.

Thanks for giving that M 4-5" army an average weaponrange 18" GW...

Edit: I tend to attach an Iron-Master to them as well. It isn't as important now when LoV can mark 4 targets, but since he brings 4 extra bodies to the unit that can soak hits in addition to giving them +1 to hit (and in the rare instance where a Thunderkyn gets wounded but not killed, the Iron-Master can even heal it) I think it's worth it if you have the points for it.

Edited by Minsc

2 hours ago, Minsc said:

I usually walk them up the board. There's a high probability that they won't get to fire on turn 1 but ...that goes for the majority of a LoV-army.

Thanks for giving that M 4-5" army an average weaponrange 18" GW...

Edit: I tend to attach an Iron-Master to them as well. It isn't as important now when LoV can mark 4 targets, but since he brings 4 extra bodies to the unit that can soak hits in addition to giving them +1 to hit (and in the rare instance where a Thunderkyn gets wounded but not killed, the Iron-Master can even heal it) I think it's worth it if you have the points for it.

Seems like you kinda have to use them as they are the only decent source of AT but only -2 AP is still bad