Tampa US Open taken by Sisters

Progenitor

On 10/19/2023 at 10:19 AM, Emperor Ming said:

nothing stands out about that list

What stands out to me is...

An actual battleline. 

Enough hulls to check oppo S:10+.

Enough chaff to do secondaries without losing steam.

Enough characters that units can do something.

Definitely excellence on the player's part... But this is also approximately how I think any list can play 10th reliably. Compare to final opponent which was basically all-in Angron and Eightbound and characters. Pretty classic wide vs. tall builds, and it's not too surprising to me that wide and shooty can still beat tall and fighty. Multi-meltas are basically purpose-built for nuking 8bound...

It's certainly possible that the dice favored Sisters, but I'd be guessing it's more WE having bad dice than Sisters having good? Unclear if Angron was able to come back or not... and if not, that's a BIG hole in late game.

Anyhow - a tremendous achievement no matter how you slice it.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

On 10/19/2023 at 10:19 AM, Emperor Ming said:

Must have been an excellent player then, or lucky rolls, nothing stands out about that list:ermm:

and alot of choices that are jut highly questionable atm

I watched  the games. It really boiled down to being very difficult to remove efficiently. Didn't really kill anything, just died in a way that was completely obnoxious.

Also, that list is 15pts short because they forgot the Palatine had Blade.

Edited by Blurf

6 hours ago, Blurf said:

I watched  the games. It really boiled down to being very difficult to remove efficiently. Didn't really kill anything, just died in a way that was completely obnoxious.

Also, that list is 15pts short because they forgot the Palatine had Blade.

Surprising since T3 and 3+ isn't that hard to kill really:ermm:

12 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Surprising since T3 and 3+ isn't that hard to kill really:ermm:

Which in turn fuels miracle dice for the other 1700 points, I suppose.

These are always the best tournaments, ones where great players embarrass community consensus about a faction.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:58 PM, Emperor Ming said:

Surprising since T3 and 3+ isn't that hard to kill really

Indeed: Classic Timmy/Abaddon brain suggests that toughness comes from being actually tough. If you ask me (a perfidious Eldar) it comes from being a suboptimal target for as many things as possible. This is always the beauty of low cost T3 3+ with no extra weapons investment: it's a bad choice for both the biggest and smallest guns/swords. In 40k we want our units to punch up or at least laterally, but there's not much that's going to reliably punch up into 10 Sisters for 100 points.

Taking a 300-point 30-Sister battleline makes this is classic MSU without the total brittleness of being trapped in only units of 5 that can't take a single hit, or indeed folding to the conventional wisdom that you might take the 3 extra Paragons with Morvenn instead to eke mileage out of her benefits. Yes, they will probably all die and no, you can't care about that.

A quarter of points in max jank characters is obviously pretty chef's kiss as well... I don't even play Sisters, I just think this is pretty close to everything a winning 40k list should be.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

On 10/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, Lemondish said:

Which in turn fuels miracle dice for the other 1700 points, I suppose.

These are always the best tournaments, ones where great players embarrass community consensus about a faction.

Technically, the community wasn't wrong in their assessment regarding the existing list paradigm.

What a lot of people didn't account for was the viability of a totally new stategic axis appearing now that lists aren't built to pick up 600 GSC models and a Wraithknight can't end a unit of battle sisters per D-cannon through Junith+Imagifier+Hospitaller+Triumph+Dialogus.

Honestly, it's the dev wound change that bumped us up more than anything else. Kudos to the guys who theorycrafted out the 'die annoying' strategy, because it's very effective.