Multiple models which 'must issue a challenge'

Brother Kraskor

Fraters,

What happens when you have multiple models in a unit which must always issue/accept challenges? Say, for example, Fulgrim Ascended is riding with a Champion. You can't issue with both, so who goes first? And equally if receiving a challenge, who has to step up?

You can only ever have one challenge per combat. Rules cover both the fact that you can only issue one challenge per round of a combat, and that if an existing challenge is ongoing you can't issue another. That's pg 198.

Every other time you have a "must" effect but two sources or destinations you pick which of the two. For instance, if you must charge the closest unit, but there's two enemy units equidistant you pick which one.

As for receiving, it's the same but the inverse. One of your "musts" has to accept. You pick which one.

--------------

Thematically, I would say of the musts in either declaring or accepting, if Fulgrim is around he should always be the one. That absolutely self-obsessed, self-aggrandizing maniac would likely give anybody else the Eidolan wine-barrel treatment if they issued or accepted in his stead. From a fluff standpoint.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Ok so we are essentially saying, when there are two 'musts' it works as 'you pick' in other rules situations, so it would be sensible to do it the same for challenges. But in terms of concrete rules, we don't have any.

Thematically of course I agree Fulgrim should do it! 

I mean thematically, it depends who is issuing the challenge - If some Imperial fist Sgt is calling out a challenge, but Sigismund is in the fight, I would totally accept Fulgrim not even noticing the Sgt and slicing his way through the squad towards his real opponent - but that rolls back to a lot of the 'crunch'  of HHv2 that I don't like - weak Challenges as tar pits to minimise incoming damage is up there with artificer sgts dancing around catching every bolt round on their better armour.

5 hours ago, Brother Kraskor said:

Ok so we are essentially saying, when there are two 'musts' it works as 'you pick' in other rules situations, so it would be sensible to do it the same for challenges. But in terms of concrete rules, we don't have any.

Thematically of course I agree Fulgrim should do it! 

Aye. The "musts" for challenges are so rare an effect my money is on GW just not even caring to clarify because it never crossed their radar.

There is no hard clarification, but based on the "One challenge per combat" stance and all the other Ph 198-199 rules that's the logical result.