New player 1k list

Arskull

Hello this my first list for Raven Guard, I've started collecting some units but am still up for changes.

I'll mostly be fighting against orks, world eaters and blood angels.

Raven Guard Vanguard 1k (1000 points)
Space Marines
Raven Guard
Incursion (1000 points)
Vanguard Spearhead

CHARACTERS

Kayvaan Shrike (100 points)
  • Warlord
  • 1x Blackout
    1x The Raven’s Talons

Lieutenant with Combi-weapon (70 points)
  • 1x Combi-weapon
    1x Paired combat blades

OTHER DATASHEETS

Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs (170 points)
  • 1x Assault Intercessor Sergeant with Jump Pack
    • 1x Heavy bolt pistol
      1x Power fist
  • 9x Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs
    • 9x Astartes chainsword
      9x Heavy bolt pistol

Eliminator Squad (75 points)
  • 1x Eliminator Sergeant
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Bolt sniper rifle
      1x Close combat weapon
  • 2x Eliminator
    • 2x Bolt pistol
      2x Bolt sniper rifle
      2x Close combat weapon

Infiltrator Squad (100 points)
  • 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Close combat weapon
      1x Marksman bolt carbine
  • 4x Infiltrator
    • 4x Bolt pistol
      4x Close combat weapon
      1x Helix Gauntlet
      1x Infiltrator Comms Array
      4x Marksman bolt carbine

Infiltrator Squad (100 points)
  • 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Close combat weapon
      1x Marksman bolt carbine
  • 4x Infiltrator
    • 4x Bolt pistol
      4x Close combat weapon
      1x Helix Gauntlet
      1x Infiltrator Comms Array
      4x Marksman bolt carbine

Invictor Tactical Warsuit (140 points)
  • 1x Fragstorm grenade launcher
    1x Heavy bolter
    1x Invictor fist
    1x Twin ironhail autocannon
    1x Twin ironhail heavy stubber

Storm Speeder Thunderstrike (160 points)
  • 1x Close combat weapon
    1x Stormfury missiles
    1x Thunderstrike las-talon
    1x Twin Icarus rocket pod

Suppressor Squad (85 points)
  • 1x Suppressor Sergeant
    • 1x Accelerator autocannon
      1x Bolt pistol
      1x Close combat weapon
  • 2x Suppressor
    • 2x Accelerator autocannon
      2x Bolt pistol
      2x Close combat weapon

Exported with App Version: v1.6.0 (27), Data Version: v299

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a pretty good list versus a horde of orks less so heavy on vehicles and world eaters actually should do some work. You want to kill the former and score secondaries on the latter. Might get powned vs Blood Angels.  

The Invictor and Storm Speeder are to be primary targets from the go so make sure the army is scoring points without them lost Turn 1. 

This is pretty similar to the plan I have for my Raven Guard. I have some vanguard vets instead of the invictor and a stormtalon instead of the speeder, but that’s just because of the models I happen to have. 

Remember you can take as much wargear as you like for each squad and the points cost is the same. I would split the jump pack assault intercessors into 2 squads with the following loadout:

Sergeant with power fist and plasma pistol

3 with heavy bolt pistol and chainsword

1 with plasma pistol and chainsword.

Reason being you get an extra sergeant then so you get an extra power fist and an access to an extra plasma pistol. Total of 4 plasma pistols across the two squads for some extra punch against heavier targets.

I know you want them to have the bonuses from Shrike but this would give more tactical flexibility. If you do keep them as a 10 then at least take the maximum number of plasma pistols i.e. 3 (1 for the sergeant and 2 more).

Edited by TheArtilleryman

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about something similar... This is the list I've come up with so far....

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [960pts] ++

+ Epic Hero +

Kayvaan Shrike [100pts]

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [70pts]

+ Infantry +

Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs [170pts]

. Assault Intercessor Sergeant with Jump Pack: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

. 9x Assault Intercessors with Jump Pack: 9x Astartes Chainsword, 9x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessors with Jump Pack w/ Plasma Pistol

Eliminator Squad [75pts]

. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Bolt Sniper Rifle, 2x Close Combat Weapon

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Sniper Rifle

Eradicator Squad [95pts]

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon, 2x Melta Rifle

. Eradicator Sergeant

Inceptor Squad [110pts]: Assault Bolters

. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon

. Inceptor Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [200pts]

. Infiltrator Sergeant

. 9x Infiltrators: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Close Combat Weapon, 9x Marksman Bolt Carbine

+ Vehicle +

Ballistus Dreadnought [140pts]

++ Total: [960pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

26 minutes ago, Nick881 said:

I'm thinking about something similar... This is the list I've come up with so far....

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [960pts] ++

+ Epic Hero +

Kayvaan Shrike [100pts]

+ Character +

Librarian in Phobos Armour [70pts]

+ Infantry +

Assault Intercessors with Jump Packs [170pts]

. Assault Intercessor Sergeant with Jump Pack: Astartes Chainsword, Heavy Bolt Pistol

. 9x Assault Intercessors with Jump Pack: 9x Astartes Chainsword, 9x Heavy Bolt Pistol

. Assault Intercessors with Jump Pack w/ Plasma Pistol

Eliminator Squad [75pts]

. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Bolt Sniper Rifle, 2x Close Combat Weapon

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt Sniper Rifle

Eradicator Squad [95pts]

. 2x Eradicator: 2x Bolt Pistol, 2x Close Combat Weapon, 2x Melta Rifle

. Eradicator Sergeant

Inceptor Squad [110pts]: Assault Bolters

. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon

. Inceptor Sergeant

Infiltrator Squad [200pts]

. Infiltrator Sergeant

. 9x Infiltrators: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Close Combat Weapon, 9x Marksman Bolt Carbine

+ Vehicle +

Ballistus Dreadnought [140pts]

++ Total: [960pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

That librarian leading the infiltrators will make them a right royal pain in the backside for your opponent.

Might want to think about a delivery system for the eradicators though. They need to get close to make a difference and they will be a prime target for enemy shooting. A transport or drop pod maybe? This is the main reason I haven’t planned to take them, because I don’t really like the available transports for them.

Also the issue I’ve found with this army is the firepower isn’t great against heavy targets, so maybe take plasma inceptors instead of bolters? Hard if you don’t have the right models though of course.

35 minutes ago, TheArtilleryman said:

That librarian leading the infiltrators will make them a right royal pain in the backside for your opponent.

Might want to think about a delivery system for the eradicators though. They need to get close to make a difference and they will be a prime target for enemy shooting. A transport or drop pod maybe? This is the main reason I haven’t planned to take them, because I don’t really like the available transports for them.

Also the issue I’ve found with this army is the firepower isn’t great against heavy targets, so maybe take plasma inceptors instead of bolters? Hard if you don’t have the right models though of course.

I can't decide if it's best to put the librarian with the infiltrators or the eliminators. Pity I dont have points enough for 2. 

I see what you're saying about the eradicators. I added them in for extra anti vehicle fire power but perhaps have just made a new problem. If I removed them I'd be 5 points shy of another Ballistus or an Invictor. 

I started out planning the army around a brick of aggressors but didn't want to spend the points on transport for them so dropped them. Maybe it's better to add in some terminators for extra fire power and for counterattack.....

Edited by Nick881

Terminators would be able to deep strike so could get where they need to go quickly … lots of points though. 

Could go with some Hellblasters or a Predator Annihilator instead of the Eradicators? you’d have enough points there and they would add longer ranged support.

or … some las talon eliminators and a Phobos lieutenant- that would give you some extra firepower plus another character to support a squad. He’s also handy for the deep strike meaning he can sometimes clutch a random objective on his own.

Edit: Also again, same as the OP - remember to give your assault intercessors the max wargear they can have e.g. in a squad of 10 you can have sergeant with power fist and plasma pistol plus another 2 plasma pistols.

Some suggestions made without the idea of changing your units much would be … 

1) a power fist for the Jump Sgt. 

2) Las-fusil for the Eliminators. 

3) a Multi-melta for Eradicators 

4) I wouldn’t take more than one 5 man unit of Infiltrators in this meta. If I were to take 10 it would be two units of 5. 

Suggestions 1-3 are to get some S8 hitting power in your army other than the Ballistus which will usually be lucky to live past Turn 2.  Games of a thousand pts or less often end up with some pretty heavy hitting skew list. If the dreadnought is a must have I would suggest …

Drop down to 5 Infiltrators as your backfield objective unit add a techmarine and a second unit of Eliminators.  This gives you two units that can infiltrate (strangely my experience is the Eliminators are more survivable and cheaper to lose because the midfield is deadly) and makes your Ballistus more survivable also. 

The following is going to have you going back to your original brick of Aggressors. 

You haven’t mention “Blade Driven Deep”. Even with your current list it would take minor tweaks to incorporate. “Blade Driven Deep” is the Point of the Spear for a Vanguard list, the “best” Enhancement you can give any Vanguard character. 

Just some combos to think about listed from most common to least being used. There are others. 

Biologis + Aggressors

Judicuar + Bladeguard

Terminator Captain + Terminators 

Biologis + Eradicators 

Thats without diving into using special characters like a ravenized Marneus. This is way longer than I intended but hope it gives you some ideas for creating an effective list that you find fun to paint and play. 

PS: Lastly (really) - for 1 CP - the Rapid Ingress stratagem - is something you might want to become very familiar with to insert units like Eradicators. A second Ballistus isn’t a bad idea either. “If one is good, two are better … “.

Edited by Dracos
Last minute thought