Tyranid Unit of the Week 10th Ed Old One Eye and Carnifexes

Brother Nathan

++Old One Eye and Carnifexes++
nids background.PNG

monster unit! wrecking ball? or waste of points. has anyone ran it? looks a fun build but does it serve any purpose?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)? And at what points restrictions?
  • What size unit? Will you be running multiple units?
  • What Enhancements, Hyper Adaptations and Stratagems do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how

not a unit ive ran yet in this edition, in certain ways we have better unit options but i do like the thought of 2 fexes and ooe beelining for the opponent. shoot them, and dont kill, they move closer. the real questions being how to arm the fexes. is pure cc the way to go or mix in some dakka to make them a threat to not be ingored so they get shot and move... whats the best loadouts? kinda wish id not traded away parts ans im at a point i need such for changing the loadouts... 

I've used them in 3-4 games and it's a mixed bag. I used 1 with OOE and it was great, just smashing through things. I used 2 carnifexes alone, and they were pretty poor.

I really do think they need OOE to led them as the BS/WS4+ is crippling, especially with only 4A. OOE is an absolute monster though - the carnifxes pretty much just become ablative wounds and a way to get him into melee faster with the blistering assault rule.

With 4a at 4+, the claws really need to be S14/16 to be worth it, but they're not. The ranged weapons are so so, I'd stick with devourers for the shots, and no BLAST rule so you can continue to fire them in melee. The 2 bonus attacks you get from Extra Scything Talons I do not feel make up for the 12 devourer shots you lose to take them. Plain scytals are solid with 6A and 3D, but better for punking marines. 

One of the few units that can benefit from Crusher stampede, the +1 to hit is great and makes up for the weaknesses of the unit, however you lose the durability of the 5+ FNP strat in invasion.