Nameplates for your miniatures newbie ....

Go to solution Solved by Sky Potato,

Since starting my Black Templars collection I decided I wanted to do a couple new things with them that I hadn't done with my previous Blood Angel and Dark Angel collections. One of the new things was have name plates for my characters and my sword brethren members. This is an area of the hobby that in my ten years in it I have 0 experience with. Zero lol

I'm looking for advice on what to go for in doing this, and who to go to for doing this. Also any newbie pitfalls or mistakes to avoid?

Thank you.

It's not something I've personally done, but I think a few members have purchased 3D-printed ones to order from e-Bay or Etsy (or printed their own). I think it's pretty popular with the Adeptus Titanicus crowd?

Typically, I can't find any of the posts at the moment, although I'm sure I've seen one or two :blush: 

• Solution

https://www.versatileterrain.co.uk

I’ll be pulling the trigger tomorrow on payday on a set for my Necrons that I’m working my way through. I’ve already got some of his plates on some LOTR stuff, they’re really good.

Every Blood Raven I have is named.  It is hard to read and when I rebase them I will do a better job, but from left to right you have: Captain Lars Cenny, Judicar Swind'Ler, SGT Lou Tah, meltagunner Pil Ledge, brother Snag Git, brother Rob'er, brother Mug'er, brother Baan Dit, brother πrat, and finally brother Frau Ster.  I have a Dreadnought named Stoll Len I am painting and as of yet a Rhino without a name.  Also, I think Rhino with No Name is a song by America.

BloodRavens.thumb.jpg.ebf2fd9ff514b30642f45404ee9285f5.jpg

My skill in freehand isn't good enough for what I'm envisioning. I'll definitely go with printed name plates. It's not going to be cheap either lol. All of my characters get one, the four members of my company hero squad, the leader of each squad, and ten sword brethren. Sucks to be my wallet. 

43 minutes ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

My skill in freehand isn't good enough for what I'm envisioning. I'll definitely go with printed name plates. It's not going to be cheap either lol. All of my characters get one, the four members of my company hero squad, the leader of each squad, and ten sword brethren. Sucks to be my wallet. 

You can print it on a home printer with a small font.  I did it for my Baneblade in the plate part that came with the model and hid the edges with a little paint.  You can do the same on a base, but instead of a rectangle you use a spline. 

Nameplate.JPG.bdafb3296ff2bd152400163e606193ae.JPG

Yes, that is an Excel Saga reference as it will conquer the city.

2 hours ago, space wolf said:

It's fairly simple to paint them on.

Fairly simple if you can paint. Yours look great. Some of us have less control over our paintbrushes than a meth addicted squirrel.

I have ordered some base labels from www.versatileterrain.co.uk today for some Necrons. Annoyingly, as I'm using aftermarket resin bases on the evil Egyptian Space Robots, the base sizes might be slightly out, compared to using actual GW bases. That's a me problem though, not down to VT. My LOTR ones fit perfectly because I wasn't awkward and use proper GW bases on those.

21 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

Fairly simple if you can paint. Yours look great. Some of us have less control over our paintbrushes than a meth addicted squirrel.

Lol, the only way one gets better is to attempt it. But I see your point. Another alternative is to print them out on paper, carefully cut them out, then use PVA to glue them on the base. Then just paint over them with either Matt varnish or more PVA and it will be rock hard. A much cheaper alternative to buying them.