Question about using old models in a current edition

hd3
Go to solution Solved by gaurdian31,

This is a resound it depends answer. 

Some places are going to require the most recent models to avoid the modeling for advantage or confusion line.  When the new Guard codex came out last edition there were tournaments that required the new Sentinel, never you mind it was only available in the Cadia Stands box at the time.  Other tournaments took the line of who cares what you use so long as your foe knows what is what and if you are rocking old models, such as the original metal Sentinel, all the better since many folks like seeing the history of the game.

In pickup games this comes down to the group and how they feel.  Most groups probably say yes to old, heavily converted, or even third party stuff because they like the creativity and expanded player base.  Some might be a strict WYSIWYG group, and others still might insist on the current models for some or all things for whatever reason they feel like. 

To sum, ask where you intend to use them.  That will be your best guide as we here on the internet will all have different experiences and possibly house rules; some of us have laid back groups when it comes to what you use or strict groups on the subject or somewhere in between.

You can! Those models are perfect suited for tenth ed .  Special weapons on cultist are mostly a waste of time but extra points for converting if that's your jam. Wisiwig is a bit awkward in tenth especially for collectors,  most folks I know are fine with pocket thunderhammers, legacy basing, shadow sponsons on tanks and such.  Be clear, considerate, and consistent and you should be fine. 

Legacy basing is a funny thing. GW general say that models should be on the base they came with. But my terminators are old enough that they came with 25mm bases. So as far as I'm concerned, that makes them legit. 

I suspect the tournament organisers might disagree, but for playing friends it's fine.

15 minutes ago, Rogue said:

Legacy basing is a funny thing. GW general say that models should be on the base they came with. But my terminators are old enough that they came with 25mm bases. So as far as I'm concerned, that makes them legit. 

I suspect the tournament organisers might disagree, but for playing friends it's fine.

I'll likely never rebase my 130+ ork boyz with all their custom individually unique bases per boy. For where it matters (More stakes tournaments and such) I just tend to space them out like they're on 32's.  Like @tychobi said; being concise ahead of time is what matters most.

There's also printable (and pretty cheap to buy too I've seen on Etsy before) adapters to upsize bases!

Edited by Dark Legionnare

55 minutes ago, Dark Legionnare said:

@tychobi

There's also printable (and pretty cheap to buy too I've seen on Etsy before) adapters to upsize bases!

Or just stick then with the original base on the larger base, this also settles the size creep issue and potential discussion

Modelling for advantage vs aesthetics is like art. It's difficult to define, but you know it when you see it. Someone modelling crouching* (or, Khorne forbid, crawling) Wraithlords? Not someone I'd even bother playing. Using old models because you enjoy the aesthetic, or, having old models based on the smaller bases that they originally came with? Perfectly fine. Especially if the entire army is retro, and it's a theme followed throughout. I'd rather play someone with cute little 3rd edition gun eyes Obliterators than someone using some of the more...divisive modern sculpts from an aesthetic point of view, and if you really care that much about winning or losing your game of toy soldiers outside of money tournaments, well, that's on you.

*unless it's an Alaitoc army with a converted crouching Wraithlord with a camo cloak, and holding its gun all sneaky-sniper like to represent a Wraithlord made with a Ranger's spirit stone. That would be very cool, and I'd gladly face that even if makes for a smaller target or whatever.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

On 11/2/2023 at 4:06 PM, Rain said:

Modelling for advantage vs aesthetics is like art. It's difficult to define, but you know it when you see it. Someone modelling crouching* (or, Khorne forbid, crawling) Wraithlords? Not someone I'd even bother playing. Using old models because you enjoy the aesthetic, or, having old models based on the smaller bases that they originally came with? Perfectly fine. Especially if the entire army is retro, and it's a theme followed throughout. I'd rather play someone with cute little 3rd edition gun eyes Obliterators than someone using some of the more...divisive modern sculpts from an aesthetic point of view, and if you really care that much about winning or losing your game of toy soldiers outside of money tournaments, well, that's on you.

*unless it's an Alaitoc army with a converted crouching Wraithlord with a camo cloak, and holding its gun all sneaky-sniper like to represent a Wraithlord made with a Ranger's spirit stone. That would be very cool, and I'd gladly face that even if makes for a smaller target or whatever.

I'm not too concerned with how big my opponents models are, but at least make it comparable to the original model. That's really all I care about when it comes to old models/conversions/proxies. Also, that's a really neat idea for a conversion. 

Edited by Abanshee

On 11/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, Rain said:

I recall someone did that in an example army in the 5E rulebook! Very cool it was too.

On 11/1/2023 at 11:15 AM, hd3 said:

Can I use the old cultist models from 6th edition with the rules of cultists in the current edition? Or are the weapons different? I need two units and I was thinking of using the old models for visual variety.

At the end of the day (something I've been fond of saying lately lol) it comes down to two people; you and your opponent at that given time ... unless its a tournament with its pre-determined rules. Then you can add in the TO too ;) lol.