Oil washes

Craig
Go to solution Solved by Bung,

So I recently decided to try an all over oil wash with some of my leviathan termegants. 50/50 black and brown Windsor and Newton paint from the Range thinned with some standard white spirit I had in the garage (probably pound land stuff). When removing the excess with a wedged make up sponge some of the acrylic paint on the edges was coming away too and revealing the primer layer. I didn't varnish before applying the wash as I have seen many people say it's not necessary. Am I doing something wrong? Leaving the wash too long or not long enough? Should I be varnishing before applying wash? Am I being too aggressive when sponging off the wash? Anyone able to give me some advice?

• Solution

Did you Airbrush your miniatures?

Thinner paint layers are more vulnerable to solvents and mechanic damage.

What colors did you use waterbased acrylics are more vulnerable than something like Tamiya, Mr. Hobby, etc.

I find the Varnish layer depends on your planned painting process.

If you do only a controlled Pin wash, then you dont need a varnish layer in my eyes.

If you do as you described and Paint the whole miniature in oil paint, then remove excess, i would do a Gloss varnish layer.

3 hours ago, Bung said:

Did you Airbrush your miniatures?

Thinner paint layers are more vulnerable to solvents and mechanic damage.

What colors did you use waterbased acrylics are more vulnerable than something like Tamiya, Mr. Hobby, etc.

I find the Varnish layer depends on your planned painting process.

If you do only a controlled Pin wash, then you dont need a varnish layer in my eyes.

If you do as you described and Paint the whole miniature in oil paint, then remove excess, i would do a Gloss varnish layer.

No airbrush, just citadel nagaroth night thinned with water.

I think the consensus is to varnish before applying the wash. Will give that a try. Thanks all.

1 hour ago, sarabando said:

i always varnish a good coat of gloss before oils and let it dry too. Dont let the spirit sit on the mini too much too even with the varnish. But good on you for trying a new technique it was really scary the first time it did it and it has changed the way i paint i love them. 

Thanks, I eventually want to try painting a mini with oils instead of acrylics. If I can't do a simple oil wash yet that seems a far way off though.