Stirland Battlemire alternative?

It seems like Stirland Battlemire is going away, and my last Stirland Mud was so watery that it just formed another flat layer on top of the base no matter how much I prodded it, so I'm looking for an alternative.

I've only used GW texture paints so far, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Personally, I'll be really surprised if GW are discontinuing it, rather than it being a stock tracking issue (getting a new SKU, etc) - the texture paints are really handy when introducing people into the hobby!

With regard to alternatives, the only one I've tried is the Vallejo Earth Texture range (Dark Earth & Brown Earth). It uses a finer sand/grit than Stirland Mud (I think the GW ones actually use plastic balls, but I could be wrong), and is "sticky" - it's best applied with a wet/damp brush and a little diluted, otherwise it will stick to whatever you're using to apply it, and you will get meringue-like peaks in it.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

The Vallejo stuff is amazing. I've used black asphalt (which might be out of production now) and white pumice stone, love both. The white I put down and then use contrast paints over top and it works great for getting just the right color. They're much cheaper than GW also.

I am using AK's teal texture right now and I like it so far. It's a little thinner than the Vallejo which makes it easier to move around, but it also takes a lot longer to dry it seems. I honestly forget what this cost me relative to the others.