Oil washes acting weird

I took a dip intonoil washes recently.

I am using Windsor and newton oil paints and odorless white spirits.

I used vallejo sartin Varnish (by air brush) ober the mini.

After applying the washes formed weird patterns on the surface. It went everywhere except into the corners btw.

Any idea what the reason could be?

20231015_222132.thumb.jpg.f45210849908787ddb4492fe7ff13696.jpg

Edited by Maschinenpriester

I'm not sure if I've ever seen oil washes painted onto the surface like that - 'wash' is a bad term and should be selective recess highlight. You need to paint the wash into the recess and the oil/varnish combo will mean it slides into there better. It cannot slide anywhere on the flat surface of an armour plate. 

I did that.

But still i was surprised by the appearence. I was expecting a more uniform filter effect.

And as stated in my original post what i found weird is that the was was moving away from the cornes.

In the end i was able to save it. Yet the pattern is still visible in some places.

20231016_223745.thumb.jpg.d56d6b39c240539cc1035d241735d8ee.jpg

I did use oils in the past (2 times) but i did not have this kind of effect yet. The oil had a smoother appearence in the past.

If i understand xenith correctly i should not use the paint over the while model. More just as a pin wash?

I guess ill try this in the future.

Gravity is a harsh Misstress.

If your oils arent dry and you handle your modell the thin oil wash will Run all over your Modell.

Work one side If your Tank, let the wash dry and move to your next side.

If you want to use a more uniform filter, you need to Airbrush your oil or enamel colors.

If I'm understanding correctly, you were looking for a "filter" like effect? If thats the case you have to thin the oil way down, more to the tune of thinner tinted with a dot of paint & don't clear coat before. If it was just a panel lining effect you were looking for, yes as Xenith suggested.  As for the paint running away from the corners in some places, can't say for sure in your case but I've seen models that are handled a lot become slightly "oily" from your natural skin touching areas that effect the way any paint, including oils, will react with the surface, especially after a varnish coat has been applied. In the case of the first photo I'd guess either the varnish wasn't mixed/shook enough or its "off" as in exposed to conditions like below storage temps...??? Could be a bad spot of paint too as it looks grainy, like really cheap oil paint can look if thinned beyond its limits. W&N is not immune to a off mix every now & then.  

Either way the end result looks killer man!

Maybe the word filter is also wrong. I wss hoing for the oil wash to act like my enamels do.

Like a wash where it needs to go into the recesses and like a filter on the flat areas. 

Thanks for the numerous and quick replies. This is such a great community!

I will have to experiment some more!

I will try next time and try to take all the advices into account. :biggrin:

41 minutes ago, sarabando said:

if you used a satin varnish that may be the issue, try a full gloss. 

I guess this could also be reason. I am going to investigate next time i am doing oils.

I ran out of gloss that day. I probably just should have went to the store. :biggrin:

On 11/3/2023 at 11:30 AM, Maschinenpriester said:

Maybe the word filter is also wrong. I wss hoing for the oil wash to act like my enamels do.

Like a wash where it needs to go into the recesses and like a filter on the flat areas.

Oils don't act like enamels that's why you use one or the other.