New Mechanicus & Necron Combat Patrols

The necron one isn't a surprise as we already had rules about them but the Admech one came out of nowhere.

If I interpret this correctly :

You’ll be able to field both forces in Combat Patrol games, whether you pick them up as boxed sets or individual kits.

The both forces parts isn't talking about admech and necrons but about both the admech combat patrols instead and the fact they say you can pick both up as boxed sets makes me think the old one will stay available? So two Admech combat patrols?

Whether or not that is true the fact Admech got a new one (and not just Necrons who never had rules for their old one in the first place) means any other faction could also get a new CP with their codex

Edited by Matrindur

I like both boxes, different from the previous version and a nice mix of units. 

And while its nice to see pteraxii and the dogos get a discount, if its keeping the same price we are talking under well under 300 points for around 120 euros.   Solid discount money wise, but still, hot damn are the new low point ad mech expensive when you tally up what you put down on the table. Still 2x this box will be a solid start to an army, 

The necron one does suffer for existing players as it mostly indomitus stuff. 

Edited by Nagashsnee

50 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

The both forces parts isn't talking about admech and necrons but about both the admech combat patrols instead and the fact they say you can pick both up as boxed sets makes me think the old one will stay available? So two Admech combat patrols?

I think what they mean is that the old CP box will be replaced, but you can obviously still by the individual boxes of minis to make up the old Combat Patrol.

I hope they keep the old AdMech box as well, but given the Necron box got removed I doubt we'll see that. Perhaps everyone is getting new boxes this edition. I'd love a new SoB CP since the old one is  basically the launch box and a rhino 

1 hour ago, Matrindur said:

The necron one isn't a surprise as we already had rules about them but the Admech one came out of nowhere.

Indeed. It is moreover asignificant change into the struture of the Patrol:

• A change toward a more useful character
  • The loss of a Tank and Kataphron delete most of the gunline feature of current AdMech Patrol
  • The inclusion of Serberys and Pteraxii put the focus on combined arm approach

For me this is a huge change in the design of the Box vs current way of gathering forces for AdmMech - I would see some of the units proposed there more indicated for a second or third levy rather than for a core building of an AdMech force (when aiming at a new army). I do like the composition for myself but I am a little bit confused about its potential for new AdMech players...

Edit: as a side notes, some Maths

a. the new patrol box would represent a less interesting absolute discount as current cost of individual sets is about 175€ in the new configuration vs. 187,5€ for the current one

b.  the new patrol box would represent a smaller army point value, rounding the 275 pts max in the new configuration vs. 415 pts for the current one. For sake of comparison, the SM Patrol box is about 440pts worth atm...

This adds more to my confusion...

Edited by Bouargh
maths

Necrons -  Like a lot of people (probably) I have most of this from Indomitus and Imperium magazine. The only thing I need is the Doomstalker. I'll probably pick one of these up at some point to complete the combat patrol (along with a SoB rhino, a Deff dread and Implusor to round out other Combat patrols where I am short the odd thing)

Admech - Quite surprised by this - I only have the Skitarii and I could, probably, make use of another squad. Nice to see if isnt another Dune Crawler box (I do like the models but I have enough already).  

Given these dont have FOMO type marketing/will generally be available I feel more certain that I may pick up the Admech one one day and can actually budget for this.

If the Necron box came with the older Overlord with Scythe I'd probably pick it up. Like others I have most of these models from the Indomitus box but I'd like to get a Doomstalker sometime and so more troops, if I was picking those up anyway I might be tempted by the extra Destroyers if they came with an Overlord different from the one I have but as it is the temptation isn't enough and I'd settle for getting the Stalker and Warriors on their own. 

I find a little weird the other Combat Patrol box for AdMech will still be usable in the game, since they're the only faction for now to have two options unlike the other factions at the moment.

Another thing is that they're the only faction without a Monster/Vehicle/BigCentrepiece in this boxset.

Edited by Jscarlos18

I like the fact that this Admech bundle isn't just Tech Priest + Skitarii + Tank and friends yet again but that Auspex Tactics video certainly doesn't make it sound like a winning box for the value presented. 

To me the new Admech combat patrol is a downgrade, yes it has a better HQ, but the tank is a more interesting kit than those flying units, I imagine the old box has also better savings. (Personal Opinion)

Why do a lot of people assume that the "old" Admech combat patrol will remain in production? To me it makes no sense.

The Necron combat patrol is fine, still, it's better to just try to get those units from Ebay or some left over starter sets, much better value. If you are in the US you can even get the command edition starter set below msrp.

The good thing for me is that now I know there is a distinctive possibility that they can change the combat patrol when they release a new codex, its always nice to be prepared ( I still have to buy the Dark Eldar combat patrol).

25 minutes ago, Jscarlos18 said:

I find a little weird the other Combat Patrol box for AdMech will still be usable in the game, since they're the only faction for now to have two options unlike the other factions at the moment.

Another thing is that they're the only faction without a Monster/Vehicle/BigCentrepiece in this boxset.

Deathguard, World eaters, Thousand sons, Deathwatch, new Spacemarines one, Custodes, Daemons and Leagues of votann also do not.. thats a significant enough amount ( 1/3th of the combat patrol.) to not make them outlyers of the norm.. but rather an alternative norm. ;)

Just the other day I was typing up a potential post to talk about some as of yet untouched potentials in the new edition, one of wich being the use of combat patrol mode in addition to those new army launch boxsets (like the beastsnagga one back then ) or versus boxes, or having (temporarily) character/campaign boxsets like we have seen in AoS that utilise combat patrol gameplay. I think it kind of adds another layer to both combat patrol mode and their boxset obsession, and seeing this new admech patrol not replace but add to the old one seems to me that its a possibility, as GW doesnt seem to think it needs to stay a one combat patrol per faction ideal ( even if I think eventually the old one will dissapear from availability, but not from the rules.)

2 hours ago, TheMawr said:

Deathguard, World eaters, Thousand sons, Deathwatch, new Spacemarines one, Custodes, Daemons and Leagues of votann also do not.. thats a significant enough amount ( 1/3th of the combat patrol.) to not make them outlyers of the norm.. but rather an alternative norm. ;)

Woops. Didn't remember Space Marines didn't had the Dreadnought, since their box and the one from Tyranids had units taken from the Leviathan boxset.

2 hours ago, TheMawr said:

Just the other day I was typing up a potential post to talk about some as of yet untouched potentials in the new edition, one of wich being the use of combat patrol mode in addition to those new army launch boxsets (like the beastsnagga one back then ) or versus boxes, or having (temporarily) character/campaign boxsets like we have seen in AoS that utilise combat patrol gameplay. I think it kind of adds another layer to both combat patrol mode and their boxset obsession, and seeing this new admech patrol not replace but add to the old one seems to me that its a possibility, as GW doesnt seem to think it needs to stay a one combat patrol per faction ideal ( even if I think eventually the old one will dissapear from availability, but not from the rules.)

Maybe. I just assumed it would be only one per faction, since they're suppossed to be balanced against each other.

Edited by Jscarlos18

1 hour ago, 01RTB01 said:

My issue with the necron one is they'll be charging top whack for etc units that were ten a penny in the imperium set. Contents are fine, price will be a slap in the face.

No see you dont understand....they are in a different box. Its totally different now. Sure there the same monopose indomitus minis that they always were. But the box, its new!

Edited by Nagashsnee

3 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

My issue with the necron one is they'll be charging top whack for etc units that were ten a penny in the imperium set. Contents are fine, price will be a slap in the face.

Have you tried buying any of those imperium models recently? They've been sold out since release day. New starters, who this is aimed at, are also more likely to buy a box like this than go hunting online for issues of an OOP (for all intents and purposes) magazine.

15 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Have you tried buying any of those imperium models recently? They've been sold out since release day. New starters, who this is aimed at, are also more likely to buy a box like this than go hunting online for issues of an OOP (for all intents and purposes) magazine.

Its just another case of "not for existing players, just for new players".

Most existing players would have bought into the 9th edition starters or Imperium so these are a bad deal for them but thats also kinda what GW wants.

GW doesn't want to sell models to existing players at a discount, they are already hooked so they will buy other models at the full price instead.

These are meant to entice new players to start the faction instead. 

Funny how we went further and further in this direction since the SC boxes but those where called Start Collecting instead