Votann Christmas box - good place to start?

ServoBadger

I'm finding myself tempted by the Christmas box... but I've never played Votann and I don't know anyone who does! Is it (and the combat patrol box) a good place to start, and does anyone have any tips on which weapon and equipment options to build if so?

Thanks!

The Christmas dose look good, the Heakton and Hearthguard are some of the best units in the codex, and the Sagitour in my experience has also been fairly good.

If you want to start Votan then yes this is a good box, add in the combat patrol and you have a good coverage of units (not that there are many choices to begin with).

As for which options to build, it very much depends on what you want to use the unit for. For example I have 5 Heartguard with plasma and gauntlet that go with a Champion that deepstrike and go after heavy infantry, while the other 5 Hearthguard with Volkite and sword with a Kahl go after light infantry.

I'll be doing my best to land one as it'll take my collection to just over 2000 pts. I only played the list once in 9th but I'm looking forward to getting back into the army - I was disheartened by their over-nerf coming into 10th, but they seem in a decent place rn and I don't hate the idea of being able to take more toys than last edition.

Loadout? I like the look of the volkites and gauntlets most so that's likely where I'll start, though probably end up with a unit each volkite and plasma - just not a big fan of the 'blades on our fists' look tbh, though they may look better in person than in photos, as with the Beserks I found for sure.

The Combat Patrol is a really good starting point, and combines up with this Xmas box really well due to everyone in Combat Patrol getting a transport in the Hekaton/Sagitaur combo. I know lots of ppl are down on Hearthkyn, but I'm enough of a grognard that I'm obligated to take 2 basic infantry units in every list, and ideally 3.

EDIT: Phewf - got the Defenders box after all! 2024 is looking pretty dang squatted for me at this point lol. Are we allowed to say squatted in jest (yet)? Has the meaning of squatted changed in the Book of Grudges?

Hope fortune likewise smiled on ye ServoBadger and any other BnC Brethren who might have been in the queue this aft.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Edited by Dr. Clock
Updating story.

Well, I got the Christmas box (assuming I don't get an email to tell me they accidentally oversold their stock... again) so I'd better hunt down a combat patrol and then go from there.

My "local meta", such as it is, is all big monsters (Tyranids) and vehicles (CSM/Eldar) and Crisis Bombs (Tau), so my mixed/traditional Space Marine armies are having a rough time of it as the infantry just...dies... and I've just bought a lot of very short infantry.

As I move up to 2k, what have Votann got that can deal with monsters and vehicles? Are Thunderers the way?

Thanks!

Edited by ServoBadger

I was gutted that they are sold out everywhere. I'll have to wait to see if any physical stock gets to any FLGS but this GW stock issue is a serious PITA. I know from the bean counters points of view selling out is a good thing but that's a very short term vision as if I'd have got this set I'd have then gone on to spend several hundred more £££s in getting an army, whereas now they're getting nothing at all. 

On 11/12/2023 at 7:55 PM, ServoBadger said:

Are Thunderers the way?

For vehicles, perhaps... no anti-monster on grav makes that a bit shaky tho. I'm doing beamers on mine, but they'll be focused a bit more on heavy infantry and light vehicles due to S7.

Rail cannon, Sagitaur beam cannon, hearthguard w/ fists, Einhyr Champ hammer... those are all decent into vehicles and monsters I'd think. If you grudge token a few of the higher value ones, even better!

Still - anything you can get 2 grudges on will start to chip down from basically anything.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.