BA Pride of the Legion with Jump Units

librisrouge

I've been humming and hawing about joining the 30k scene with a legion astartes army and I have a small problem. I like terminators, jump units, and score. I want as much scoring as I can manage. This list was the result of that overall, admittedly simple, thought process.

Legion: Blood Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist

Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

HQ-

Praetor - Jump Pack, MC Paragon Blade, Meltabombs, and Paragon of Unity

Command Squad x9 - Jump Packs, Power Fist x2, and Power Sword x7

Herald - Jump Pack and Thunder Hammer

Chaplain - Jump Pack, MC Thunder Hammer, and Meltabombs

Elite-

Apothecary x2 - Jump Pack and Artificer Armor

Dawnbringer Cohort - Spear x5 and Sword x5

Angels Tears x5 - Volkite Serpenta x2 (each)

Troops-

Assault Squad x15 - Power Axe x3 and Artificer Armor/Powerfist/Meltabombs

Assault Squad x15 - Power Axe x3 and Artificer Armor/Powerfist/Meltabombs

Indominatus Terminators x10 - Powerfist x8, Chainfist x2, and Illiastus Assault Cannon x2

Indominatus Terminators x10 - Powerfist x8, Chainfist x2, and Illiastus Assault Cannon x2

Battle Plan:

The tip of the spear are the two elite jump units (dawnbringers and command squad) who will be joined by the apothecaries and centurions. While they're distracting the enemy, assault squads will move to secure objectives. The terminators form an anvil, securing objectives while throwing shots down range, joining the melee if needed (probably) and being tough (I hope.)

Sounds fair but competitive?

I like the two big frontal punch units and the Termie anvil concept. But I think your Terminator units suffer a bit from being jack of all trades, the ones you're holding backfield objectives with are too tooled up - you're paying points for power fists, when you could take Cataphractii (as Line via PotL) with fewer upgrades for melee but they'd have the sweet 4++. Also unfortunately you can't attach an Apothecary to the Command squad. Try this:

Praetor (180) Master-crafted thunder hammer, jump pack

- Command Squad (358) Banner bearer w/ power fist, 2x chosen w/ power fist, 3x chosen w/ twin lightning claws, 3x chosen w/ chainswords

Herald (130) Thunder hammer, jump pack

Chaplain (145) Master-crafted thunder hammer, jump pack

1 Apothecary (70) Artificer armour, jump pack

2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts (360) Both w/ gravis multi-melta & dreadnought fist

10 Dawnbreakers (300)

5 Angel's Tears (150)

10 Cataphractii Terminators (355) 2x Illiastus Assault Cannon, no further upgrades, so your choice of basic power weapons x10, probs a mix of swords and axes

10 Cataphractii Terminators (355) 2x Illiastus Assault Cannon

10 Indomitus Terminators (380) 2x Illiastus Assault Cannon, 3x thunder hammers, 7x power fists

2 Javelins (210) Both multi-melta & lascannon

2993pts

So now your Cataphractii are your rear objective holders and a serious pain to dislodge, whilst still not being slouches in combat but without being quite so well-furnished with upgrades. Your Indomitus remain a midfield grabber with more toys to play with. You've also got a pair of Contemptors and a pair of Javelins for some bullying & anti-tank.

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Overall I like it, looks tough as heck but not ridiculous. 

Couple thoughts:

With all the terminators and more obvious threats, if a lot of attention gets paid to the assault squads things have gone wrong. Maybe they could be smaller or even more and smaller. 

You’re really abandoning firepower in favor of the assaults. Something that can crack a land raider at range or tag something across the field could be helpful. Maybe fewer terminators but some have rides? Or a dread or something else that can have a bit of reach. The scoring termies are nice, but if you’re counting on them to charge things AND sit on an objective, could be a tough choice.