What badge do Wolf Scouts bear on their left shoulder pad?

Skambankt
Go to solution Solved by Wispy,

According to lore Space Wolf Scouts are not assigned to any of the Great Companies, so what do they wear on their left shoulder pad?

Since they answer directly to the Great Wolf, are they part of his great company? Would they then wear The Wolf that Stalks the Stars badge?

I can only find the Pack Markings in the codexes, and my google-fu isn't strong enough to find good answers there either. I've seen pictures of them wearing the Badge of the Blackmane over grey, but is that correct or just Games Workshop being lazy by using that badge for anything Space Wolves?

Edit: Turns out Wolf Scouts ARE part of the great companies. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Edited by Skambankt

• Solution
14 hours ago, Skambankt said:

According to lore Space Wolf Scouts are not assigned to any of the Great Companies, so what do they wear on their left shoulder pad?

Re-read your lore buddy. They're part of Great Companies. 

How can Erik Morkai make a company that uses lots of Wolf Scouts if he doesn't have authority over Wolf Scouts. 

edit: I found the reference in Lexicanum that says 'Wolf Scouts answer directly to the Great Wolf' , which in turn cites pages in the Third Edition codex... But the referenced pages in the Third Edition codex don't support this at all. Sounds like a Wiki editor had a reading comprehension brain fart.

edit2: here's a text extraction of the page Lexicanum cites. Lots of text, maybe there's something i overlooked, but i didn't see anything about Wolf Scouts not being part of Great Companies. 

"CHAPTER ORGANISATION

Spoiler

In response to Van Heppel's report. I have begusa preliminary investigation into the Space Wolves Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes. I began by examining the organisational codes submitted to the Adeptus Terra by the Space Wolves in 2341830 M41. These show a Chapter laid out along very different lines to that shown in the dictats of the Codex Astartes. This is doubtless due to the Space Wolves being a First Founding Chapter: as with many other First Founding Chapters, its structure owes more to the personality of its primogenitor and the social organisation of the native population it is recruited from

THE GREAT COMPANIES

Spoiler

Archive information indicates that the Space Wolves Chapter is divided into twelve Great Companies Each Great Company is led by a Wolf Lord, a warrior whose only master is the Great Wolf himself. the leader of the entire Chapter Each Great Company has its own headquarters and territory within the Space Wolves massive Chapter-fortress and its own spacecraft, weapons, forges and other facilities. In almost all respects, it is a separate, self- sufficient body of warriors The Great Companies each have their own ancient customs renowned heroes and warrior traditions which they honour. Great Companies are named after their Wolf Lord. When a Wolf Lord is slain, a new Wolf Lord is proclaimed by the old Lord's elite retinue of Wolf Guard and the Great Company takes on a new name Thas the Great Companies are not fixed as are the companies of other Space Marine Chapters but change through the ages as ont leader succeeds another. Each Wolf Lord chooses a symbol or badge from the ancient legends of Fentis as his emblem. This symbol appears on the Great Company's banner and is commonly repeated on the armour of members of the Company Though there have been thousands of Wolf Lords over the Space Wolves long history, many have chosen to repeat badges or legendary figures used by famous precursors. For example, amongst the most favoured emblems is that of Drekan, the Thunderwolf, which in Fenrisian Irgend was defeated by Leman Russ. The saarling of the Thunderwolf is said to be the cause of the thunder of Fenris whilst the glint of its fangs creates the lightning

THE COMPANY OF THE GREAT WOLF

Spoiler

In addition to the twelve Great Companies, there is the household of the Great Wolf himself. When the Great Wolf dies, the catire Chapter selects his successor from amongst the twelve Wolf Lords currently leading the Great Companies The Company Of The Great Wolf is effectively another company but it differs from the Great Companies in some important respects. The Company of the Great Wolf is home to all the Chapter's Wolf Priests, Iron Priests and Rune Priests. It is also where all the Chapter's Space Marine Dreadnoughts are kept in stasis to extend their lives. The Great Wolf's emblem is always the same, unlike the emblems of the Great Companies which are the personal badges of their Wolf Lords. This is the Wolf That Stalks Between Stars: the ancient hadge of Russ himself and the symbol carried on the Chapter's banner. The current Great Wolf is Logan Grimnar. He is the latest in a line of Space Marine masters that stretches back to the Space Wolves' founding before the Great Crusade Logan Grimmar is one of the Imperium's oldest and most powerful warriors. This canning and fierce old man has led the Space Wolves for over five centuries but even this incredible span is no record amongst these long-lived Space Marines. 

WOLF GUARD

Spoiler

Every Wolf Lord has a personal retinue of picked Space Marine warriors called the Wolf Guard. The Wolf Guard accompanies its Wolf Lord in battle, and consists of the most mighty warriors in the Great  Company. The remaining troops in each Great Company are divided into four groups of Space Wolves warriors: the Grey Hunters, the Blood Claws, the Long Fangs, and the Scouts. Grey Hunters are proven warriors of ability, Blood Claws are glory- hungry young warriors. Long Fangs are older. steadfast warriors armed with hervy weapons, while the Scouts are ferocious fighters who prefer to operate alone

SPACE WOLF PACKS

Spoiler

Warriors of the Great Companies fight in squads known as packs A Space Wolf joins his pack when he joins the Chapter as a Blood Claw, and pack will remain together throughout the members' service in the Chapter The only way a Space Wolf can leave his pack is through death, or by being asked to join the Wolf Guard or the Space Wolf Scouts. Having a pack-brother join the Wolf Guard or Scouts is considered a great honour for the pack. In his Treatise Des Astartes. Master Shadiel noted: "In battle. Space Wolves risk their lives for their pack-brothers without a second thought. This creates debts of honour and friendship that may take a (lifetime) to repay. Even after pack-brothers have moved on through promotion or have been assigned to other duties, these bonds remain Over the years, the warriors in a pack are bound together by chains of honour and loyalty stronger than tempered steel and learn to understand each other in ways that only those who have fought side by side for decades can achieve.

As Space Wolf warrior becomes older and increasingly battle-wise, his role within the Great Company changes. At first be fights with the Blood Claws, where hand-to-hand combat is all important and where hot-blooded aggression is directed into tasks such as seizing enemy outposts and driving fors out of forward positions. As a Space Wolf warrior grows older, his hair becomes progressively grey and his fangs lengthen as a result of a genetic flaw in the Space Wolves gese-seed. Even his skin becomes ever more tanned and leathery and, of course, he acquires the inevitable scars of combat. Mature Space Wolves who are insured to battle and at the peak of their powers are called Grey Hunters Grey Hunters make up the majority of the Great Companies. They are experienced warriors, dour and sombre, proud of their skills and rightly honoured by their younger comrades. The oldest warriors are called Long Fangs in recognition of their age and experience. Their fangs are even longer than those of other Space Wolves and their grizzled hair has turned the colour of the ashen Fenrisian sky, Long Fings are battle-wise and cunning, they are steadfast in adversity and it is said that they are always the last to retreat from a battle New members are never added to a pack, so as the pack grows older and more experienced, the inevitable casualties the pack suffers reduces its numbers. For this reason, a pack of Blood Class will usually have more members than a pack of Grey Hunters, who  likewise usually have more members than packs of Long Fangs. Even when a pack is reduced to one of two members it will not be disbanded. Instead its members will be asked to act as leaders for Blood Claw packs that have just been formed. In this way the most experienced members of the Chapter are able to teach the newest recruits of the Chapter's proud history and of what it means to be a member of Space Wolves pack."

SPACE WOLVES SCOUTS

Spoiler

In most Chapters, new Space Marines are initiated into the Scout Company and only once they have proves themselves there do they become fully- fledged Space Marines It appears that this is not the case with the Space Wolves a fact which has caused some confusion amongst Imperial archivists and researchers in the past. Again. Shadiel notes: "When a Fearisian warrior arrives at the Fang having drunk of the Cup of Walfen and undertaken his final trial, he is welcomed by all as a brother Space Wolf Wolf Priests will carry out the necessary procedures to implant the additional gene-seed helixes required to control the primary gene-seed which has already been implanted. Once the Space Wolf has recovered from this ordeal, he will be inducted into the company as a member of a new Blood Claws pack As time passes the new Blood Claws will prove themselves in battle. The majority will remain with their pack for their entire time in the Chapter but some will show exceptional prowess in battle and will be inducted into the Wolf Guard, while others will instead become Space Wolves Scouts. Fenrisians are usually a sociable and gregarious race, but there have always been some amongst their number who are said to be touched by Lokyat, the great Lone Wolf of Fenrisian legend. These warriors are generally taciturn. very fierce and find it difficult to abide the trappings of civilisation even the rough and ready form of civilisation followed by the Space Wolves. Such
warriors cannot act as full members of a pack, so they will be inducted into the Scouts where their individual nature and natural talents can be given full reign Here, amongst fellow warriars of a similar temperament, they form an elite snit which ranges ahead of the rest of the Company and acts as its eyes and cars.
Referum restricted: 1097345 MI1/S$8674LP12 Veritas Eternum Est-a ERT d.n-t-a
Metalek Crim-quisitor

Edited by Xenith
Edited formatting + spoiler tags

Depending from the edition, they went from bearing no great company marking to bearing a modified symbol of their hosting Company, under the form of only the Wolf symbol in black.

For the pack marking they have had various steps: starting with red marks on white* (Something now applied to wulfen) to nothing and finally with black symbols only. 

This is one of the nothing-nothing embodiement - 3rd Ed or something:

P1090997.JPG.553887efe93bbd2cbbaf5d7964ff36f5.JPG

Then a later black symbols-black wolf head - 5th or 6th ed (can´t remember)

P1090996.JPG.99d0e29e430b2fae6ffcd22dc5e56bd8.JPG

*I lost my 2nd Ed codex during a moving so I can´t share pics of these models and I did not find any on google that looked genuine Heavy Metal painted. I can´t remember my memory is fully OK and that these did not had any kind of Company mark....

Thanks for the replies. 

I was basing my question off of the Lexicanum aticle and couldn't find anything in the Scout sections of the codexes that clarified it for me, but the Erik Morkai reference from @Wispysorted it for me.

I appreciate the help:smile:

@Wispy I edited your comment to stop the formatting from making end endless wall of text to scroll through, and put it in spoilers for the same - in future be wary of copying massive chunks of text from other sources and find the relevant parts, and fire your scribe servitors - their auto-read function has made some typos :sweat:

1 hour ago, Gamiel said:

Think they appeared in 2nd Edition for the first time 

These wolf scout models were released in 3rd ed, I'm pretty sure. 

Those are great 2nd edition Scout Sgt. models, long before much of the doctrine that has been put in place for  more recent versions. I still use at least one of those models today in a scout squad. The other models pictured (with grey shoulder pads) were 3rd ed. ..."back in the day..." Space Wolf Scout models had the white background with red dags on it. Very bright. Very eye-catching.

It is my opinion that the left shoulder pad has an insignia of the Great Company the squad has been assigned to (Ragnar's, Harald's, Bjorn's, etc.) in a black icon on the standard blue-grey armor. On the right shoulder, the pack marking should be a black, dag-toothed squad marking design on the standard blue-grey armor. All of this is with the idea that the Wolf Scouts are intended to be "stealthy," as compared to "inspiring fear into our enemies because we don't need stealth" as normal Astartes (wearing bright red and yellow as targets).

As always, YMMV.