Vanguard Spearhead -- After Action Review

L30n1d4s

Just had a 2000 point game with an UM Vanguard Spearhead and thought I'd share how the units performed here:

Here is my list and thoughts on how each part of it performed:

-----

Characters:

-Marneus Calgar (Warlord)

-Apothecary Biologist (with "Blade Driven Deep" Enhancement)

-Lieutenant with Combi-Weapon

Battleline:

-5 Intercessors

Other:

-6 Aggressors (Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Launchers)

-10 Hellbasters

-5 Incursors

-5 Incursors

-6 Devastator Centurions (Grav Cannons/Centurion Missile Launchers)

-Predator Destructor (Autocannon/Heavy Bolters)

-Predator Destructor (Autocannon/Heavy Bolters)

-Repulsor (Las Talon/TLed Lascannon/Repulsor Defensive Array)

-Ballistus Dreadnought

-----

-Marneus Calgar/Aggressors/Apothecary Biologist

*I think it was more about how I used them (infiltrated up close and charged turn 1), overall they ended up not doing as much close combat damage as I had hoped and then eventually getting wiped out by a combination of my opponent's Devastator Squad, Tactical Squad with attached Ezekiel, and Company Hero squad with attached Azrael. On the other hand, they did keep the attention of a large portion of his force (especially some of his best characters) and were a "Distraction Carnifex" that kept the rest of my army relatively safe. Next time I will likely try and be a bit more judicious with them, instead of just charging straight into combat and expecting to clean up, so maybe keeping them back as more of a counter-assault type element. One side note, it was very nice getting an extra CP each Command Phase from Calgar, I was not nearly as CP starved this game as I have been in the past.

-Lieutenant with Combi-Weapon

*Did alright, grabbed an Objective early and held it, otherwise not much to write home about. I forgot to use his ability and "mark" one objective so that any enemy near it I get to re-roll 1s to Wound against, but otherwise not bad, but not super impressive. I might try and free up some points to trade him out for a Vindicare Assassin, since he can also infiltrate up as a Lone Operative and still contribute at range with his Exitus Sniper Rifle.

-5 Intercessors

*Also performed OK, grabbed and Objective and then moved up for fire support. Thanks to their "Objective Secured" rule, I got to keep the point, even though I had moved up, so they basically did their job, like the Lieutenant with Combi-Weapon

-10 Hellbasters riding inside Repulsor

*Great unit that jumped out and did lots of damage, helping me take out multiple Terminators and ultimately kill all three of his Ravenwing Speeders. Also, the Repulsor did well, surviving a charge by his deep striking Terminators and provide good Fire Support overall. I definitely plan to keep these two units, maybe even add a Captain so they can get free Strats and some close combat ability as well.

-(x2) 5 Incusors

*Did their job well, helping grab objectives and, more importantly, "marking" two targets each turn for +1 to Hit for the rest of my army, which was a great force-multiplier for my main shooting units. Definitely plan to keep these guys in the list in the future.

-6 Devastator Centurions

*As expected, the "All Stars" of the army, with their combination of Grav Cannons and Centurions MLs doing lots of damage every shooting phase (and even killing several Company Heroes in Overwatch). The key here was combining them with the "Strike from the Shadows" and "Guerrilla Tactics" Strats, allowing them to hit on BS2+ (with built in re-rolls of 1s to Hit) and giving their Grav Cannons AP-2 and their Centurion MLs AP-3. Once bumped up to AP-2, the Grav Cannons are really good, with their guaranteed damage 3 making mincemeat of Terminators, normal infantry, etc. (and I didn't even get the chance to use them against their preferred target of vehicles). Finally, "Guerrilla Tactics" let me bounce them around the board to get good firing angles whenever I needed it (and keep them back from melee threats/give them a better chance to use the free Cover and -1 to Ht from the Vanguard Spearhead detachment rules).

-(x2) Predator Destructors

*The runner-up "All Stars," these guys shredded infantry (like they are supposed to do) and even helped take down some of my opponent's Ravenwing Speeders, proving a versatile, cheap  fire base unit, just as I hoped they would be. Would definitely take them in future iterations of the list.

-Ballistus Dreadnought

*Performed solidly, helped take down some my opponent's tougher targets and, importantly absorbed a lot his shooting, with its T10 2+ save, and "Armour of Contempt" Strat allowing it to absorb a good bit of shooting and still not be destroyed. Would also take this again in future lists, as the Ballistus has performed solidly for me in multiple games now.

Edited by L30n1d4s