Army Speed Painter question

I decided to try out the Army Painter Speed Paint system for my Black Templars. I've already tried GW's Contrast system, didn't care for it, etc etc... 

So I picked up a bottle of Grim Black. So ... should I prime/basecoat the miniature with their Matte White first (As AP recommends generally), or since I'm doing black armor with it, use a lighter gray prime/basecoat?

Thanks.

I advise not to use white undercoat for black contrast/speed paint. Go with gray and drybrush white on the edges to bump up the contrast. I recommend thinning them down with a little bit of water and airbrush flow improver (if you have acces to it) - it will reduce the patchiness of the paint, as it will pool less. The tradeoff is weaker coverage (one of the reasons for darker undercoat)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 5:23 PM, Madao said:

I advise not to use white undercoat for black contrast/speed paint. Go with gray and drybrush white on the edges to bump up the contrast. I recommend thinning them down with a little bit of water and airbrush flow improver (if you have acces to it) - it will reduce the patchiness of the paint, as it will pool less. The tradeoff is weaker coverage (one of the reasons for darker undercoat)

This. I used this method to test on some 30k DA. I think it looks okay, but not quite the route I want to go, but its pretty much a contrast cheat code.