Return to Eldar in 10th

horushoruseverywhere

Hey lads.

After my return to 10th after 10 years of absence, and after the first couple of games with my Wolves, I've rescued the old Eldar army from the basement.

I'm trying to use the models that I have, the only thing I might replace is the Avatar, still got the little one from third edition. So I'd like to discuss my list and the options that I have, with the experiences you've made.

I ran Ulthwé, Black Guard, ever since the Eye of Terror Codex. So I'm a friend of internal balance, but I also like to play the game as the strategy game that it is. There's always a difference unit tiers, and while I'm not gonna buy the 10 auto include units from the meta flavour of the month, I'm still trying to perform with what I have. It's the Ulthwé way.

[The Midfield]

Farseer in 10 Guardians with BL

Eldrad in 10 Guardians with BL

Asurmen in 10 Dire Avengers

Wraithlord

[The Guns]

Vyper

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

[Mobility]

3 Wind Riders

Autarch Wayleaper

[to plug a hole]

10 Banshees

I'm not sure about the Wayleaper, the list itself doesn't have too many action units so I figured he could be good with the CP generation. The Banshees are just supposed to hide somewhere to threaten at least a counter charge. In the same points range I also have 10 Harlequins or 5 Scorpions with Karandras. But with Doom and the AP3 the Banshees read the most reliable.

I'm not sure if I give Asurmen more value than he really has, in my mind. Also perhaps the Dire Avengers fulfill a similar role to the Guardians. The Avatar is supposed to just be there while shuriken catapults fight for the mid objectives.

What I'm pondering is:

- Did I bring enough guns? Specifically in the Bright Lance department, I got War Walkes and more Vypers as options.

- What's a good counter punch unit that might be able to relief a guardian unit once the Avatar is down?

Overall that looks a pretty decent list. Here are some thoughts on specific units.

Autarch Wayleaper: Generate CPs, grab an uncontested Objective, do actions. Whatever you want to do, this guy has got you covered. With just 5 T3 wounds he is a bit squishy so the Phoenix Gem is a worth a look.

If you have War Walkers, I would take them over Vypers as they are a lot more durable.

A pair of Fire Prisms go a long way to covering your ranged firepower needs. Your Wraithlord and a War Walker or two with extra Brightlances are good backup as 10th is fairly vehicle-heavy so far. The Avatar can chop most tanks in half if he gets close of course.

3 Wind Riders is not enough IMHO. I guess if you run them on a flank and use them Actions or similar they might work but I normally prefer 6.

Banshees are good but fragile and really need a Wave Serpent for delivery. If you can't afford one, Scorpions might be better as they are a bit tougher and can Infiltrate.

For counter-charge, I really love my Wraithblades with axes and Shields led by a Spiritseer. These guys are seriously tough and the Seer can resurrect 1 fallen model per turn. I quite like running Fate's Messenger on the Seer. I normally put them in a Serpent as they are not very fast but they are tough enough to walk if necessary and you have Strats like Matchless Agility to get them where they are going faster.

Welcome back!

List isn't bad at all! I'll sustain pretty much everything Karhedron said except I haven't used wraithblades.

Between 20 guardians, WLord and Avatar with prisms in the back, I'd probably go wider instead of keeping a 170pt counter-charge ready, especially when Banshees are basically dependent on Eldrad to get good mileage alot of the time just due to combination of S4 and dmg 1. Anything with T5 or an invulnerable save throws the math in some bad places for the banshees. If you absolutely love them, by all means play them though.

Scorpions can score early points and disrupt enemy from the start, which helps the rest of the army keep the space it wants. For 75 points they are a great skirmisher and can punch up from time to time with devastating wounds. I take 2x5 in most lists, but they are also my favorite unit in the game for fluff reasons lol.

Harlequins can become one of the few tanky infantry choices in the list if you add Yvraine to them. 4++/5+++ and resurrecting is a nifty trick, but I'd put them in Reserves and aim for turn 3 contact rather than walking across the board... If you stick with Banshees that'd still be what I'd do: take 2 units of 5 and then bring them on as reserves so they can try and go deep turn 3 rather than lurk on your side - the prisms and 1 unit of guardians should be able to keep home base safe enough, and with units of 5 they are way easier to hide somewhere and less likely to all die before doing anything... I'd still take harlies before banshees most of the time though as it's a distraction/skirmish role at that point not a true hammer.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.