Could an Astartes be a perpetual?

Helias_Tancred

As I understand it, some Perpetuals were born that way, others were made?

If born that way, it would be more of a case of a Perpetual becoming a Marine. But I'm not sure that would be possible... wouldn't the trauma of being made into a Marine heal immediately? Wouldn't any implants be rejected?

A Marine could be the base material for creating a 'made' Perpetual, I guess? Similar to Vulkan in many ways?

Edited by Lysimachus

There was Anval Thawn who originally was a Grey knight perpetual, but having looked up his name (as I wasn't familiar with the most up to date info) it seems he hasn't been mentioned since 7th and him being a perpetual may have been silently retconned away 

14 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Yes:yes:

But primarchs are not astartes:no:

True, but if any Astartes line were to produce Perpetuals I would think the Salamanders or one of their successors would be the logical choice.

I could see it being part of the Cursed Founding that produced the Lamenters, Black Dragons, etc.

Well there's always the lore in Siege of Terra, Book IV: Saturnine, to work with how you may.

John Grammaticus meets with a female Perpetual. She says that she is the Mother of the Primarchs, that the Emperor created All the Primarchs as Artificial Perpetuals using both of their DNA. She wasn't pleased with the outcome and it was her abilities that were used to scatter the Primarchs.

16 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Astartes screen aspirants for genetic compatibility. Whether a natural born perpetual would pass that genetic screening is a big question mark at this point.

If you want to get around questions like this, you could say this perpetual was part of the ultima founding, where there was no screening, everyone selected there was press ganged randomly. Basically showing you don't need the best of the best, it can be anyone:yes: