The Not-Wolves ride again

Trokair

I have not used my Not-Spacewolves since mid 8th or thereabouts, but after seeing part of a game last week using one of the detachments from the new Marine Codex I thought I would try them again. Based on what I have built this is the list I have. Game plan is roughly Lord and Battle leader join the 6 man Tunderwolf, Canis joins either the 3 man or the little wolfs (as I see that the cyber gives the entire unit scout) and the dreads just go be brawlers.

Space Wolves, Detachment: Stormlance Task Force  - 1,495p

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf, Relic Weapon, Relic shield, Warlord - Fury of the Storm

Wolf Guard Battle Leader on Thunderwolf, Thunder hammer, Storm shield

Canis Wolfborn

Bjorn the Fell-Handed, Helfrost cannon

Murderfang

Cyberwolf

5x Grey Hunters, Power Axe, 1x Plasma Gun, Chainswords

5x Grey Hunters, Power Axe, 1x Plasma Gun, Chainswords

5x Grey Hunters, Power Fist, 1x Meltagun, Chainswords

3x Thunderwolf Cavalry, Storm shield

6x Thunderwolf Cavalry, Storm shield

10x Fenrisian Wolf

Wulfen Dreadnought,Blizzard shield,Heavy Flamer, Fenrisian great axe

Wulfen Dreadnought,Blizzard shield,Heavy Flamer, Fenrisian great axe

Unless I missed an update, which would not surprise me, the pdf of the index cards I have specifically says that the Cyberwolf has to be attached to a unit of Wolves, even if Canis has been attached to it.  

Had a game against Tyranids this week, had a weird diagonal deployment zone but got lucky and got first turn. Even with some low advance and charge rolls I made it into three combats. Bjorn against one of the new big big Norn things, they traded blows and leave each other on just a few wounds. The 3 man thuderwolf unit hitsome Warriors and came out fairly even. Lastly the Lord, Battle Leader and 6 man Thunder all as one connect with the Swarmlord and diced him.   

The nids hit back with some big thin and some gaunts whipping out  one grey hunter squad and the small wolves that were on an objective and then charged to kill the cyberwolf and thus taking the objective.  The big Norn thing fell back nad charged with a strat and wiped out the 6 thuderwolf unit, leaving the lord and Battle leader wounded and independent, they fail to do anything much in return.

A one wound Bjorn and one wulfen dread go and rescue the lord and battle leader. Meanwhile on the other side of the table Murderfang and the other wulfen dread divert to go and try and kill the other big thing so as to reclaim the objective (they fail and leave it on one wound, and with their OC0 the big thing holds onto the objective). Canis goes and chews on some gaunts.

Nids turn two, a flying thing turned up with big venom cannons, a flaoty brain zap some stuff, Biorn Dies, as does the Battle Leader. Some tyrant guard charged the Wulfen dread that had been with Bjorn, who promptly murdered them all.

Murderfang and co kill the big thing that was on one, but the resulting explosion kills Murdefang, critically kills the Wulfen dread and Canis (who was just in range by about 3mm).

The game was mostly over at this point, a lot of things had died, much of what remained was wounded. The rest was basicly a bunch of manuvering to socre points and mope up the remaining units. I could not kill the fly as long as it remained in plain mode (lack of guns), and it could not hold objectives.

Due to some great secondary’s and getting on the objectives early, even if then lost them and had to retake them repeatedly, the Not-Wolves won. It could have gone oh so differently, from nids going first to just all the one wound things dying earlier and instead of clinging on the way they did.

Lesson learned, planes are our nemesis.

On 11/18/2023 at 2:38 AM, DoctorCrow said:

Note that two characters can not join the same unit without special permission, so no cyberwolf and canis. (The others are fine.)

If it is all the same to you I would proxy the power weapons as powerfists on the grey hunters.

Happy hunting!

Cyberwolves have the special permission so the list is fine.