1st Company Task Force Training Camp

Paulinus

So let me preface this by stating that I think this is the worst detachment to play anything competitive.  However, if you like a challenge, like the theme and are ready to lose most of your force to win a game then this detachment can satisfy that.  At least for me it has. 

My goal was/is to make this as competitive as possible and see how it can do.   I’ve played four friendly practice games to see how well or bad it can go.

Game 1 vs Druhkari 

39/38 but we only got 3 turns in and the despite me being up a point I was going to get trampled the next two turns 

Game 2 vs Druhkari 

95-49 Much better game after some list tweaking and being more comfortable

Game 3 vs Tau

55-22. My opponent conceded after turn 3 as he had no path to win

Game 4 vs Tau/Death Guard. 
62-58.  Skewed game since we did a 2 v 1.  But the mechanics of my list stayed the same.

3 wins, 1 loss so far.

After 3 games I removed RG to add more things to my list for my 4th game.  Getting the two oaths with reroll wounds once per game was a bit underwhelming so I went with more stuff instead. My final list was:

Calgar

1 Phobos Lieutenant with combi weapon

Bladeguard ancient with Imperium sword

Tigurius 

Terminator Captain with Iron resolve 

Captain Sicarius 

Uriel Ventris (will allow Tigurius and sternguard to deep strike)

3x5man scout squad with 2xBolter, 1Shotgun, Sniper, Missile launcher 

10xMan Sternguard with combi bolters, 2 Heavy bolters, Power Fist (sicarius leads)

10xMan Sternguard with special issue bolters, 2 Heavybolters, Power Fist (Tigurius Leads) 

10xMan Terminator squad with powerfists, 2x Chainfist, 2xCyclone 

6xBlade Guard

5xVanguard vets with Grav pistols and relic weapons 

5xVanguard vets with Grav pistols and relic weapons 

The concept in each game was to play fixed missions.  This is because getting a good chunk of the tactical missions is impossible and would detract from the main plan.  In all games I use deploy teleport homers and select another that depends on my opponent.  In all my games it was bring it down since my opponents would give up enough points for that.  Scouts with their abilities pretty much guarantees me at least three turns of scoring teleport homers (the lieutenant and vanguard vets can also be used if needed) but I’m really aiming for the enemy deployment zone as much as I can.  Thanks to scout and guerrila tactics I can score it on most turns,   Having shotguns with the scouts let’s me advance and do actions as well. 

I play agressive and try to focus on primaries.  Sicarius being able to scout and gives assault to a squad makes the sternguard surprising fast and get into rapid range turn 1.   Tigurius deep strikes with the other sternguard on turn 2 or 3.

Bladeguard advance and charge thanks to Calgar.  Victrix combined with armour of contempt can soak up a lot of shooting with their 2+ 4++.   

The terminators are amazing to soak up shooting. Get a +1 to hit the oath target.  With the captain they are getting a 0 CP AoC and once per battle the Iron Resolve enhancement gives the whole squad a 5+ FnP.  Very tanky if you combine cover with that. 

I use the vanguard vets (rapid ingress if needed) to try and chip away at vehicles.  Grenades, grav pistols with 2+ anti vehicle and lethal hits on the charge.  Not amazing but enough of a threat and they can get me into the opponents deployment zone if the scouts can’t.  Also a great unit to make objectives sticky for 1 CP.

So far I try and score as much as can for three turns while my opponent has to focus down two tanky units (Terminators and  Bladeguard) and the sternguard while my scouts, VVs and others deal with getting points.

The main weaknesses.

1. Limited units and shooting.  
2. No real anti armour

3. Gives up assassination 

4. Secondaries can be countered 

5. Mistakes are very unforgiving 

6. Most of your army is gone by turn 4 or 5

Some strengths

1. Surprising mobility 

2. 2x very tanky units to absorb shooting. Enemy has to really focus you down

3. Decent CP management (Calgar, low CP costs and free strats)

4. 1x Reroll oath of moment hits and wounds is ok

5. Good control of the battle and maintaining initiative and forces your opponent to react 

Strats.  

AoC.  obvious choice to keep units alive.  On terminators especially

Grenades is nice for chip damage on some units.

Duty and Honour.  Situational but being able to make

objectives sticky for 1 CP is very useful in a list with low unit count.

Heroes of the Chapter.  Solid.  +1 to hit is good in units like combi bolter sternguard and +1 to wound when below half strength can make a difference.  

Orbital Teleportarium is really good.  Can let you do a turn 1 deep strike and makes your terminators way more mobile being able to leave on your opponents turn and come down in DS again the next turn.

At any rate.  Was fun trying to make this work.  I’ll probably play a few more games and see how it goes.  I wouldn’t recommend for any serious tournament play.  But it does live up to the 1st Company last stand as I was pretty much wiped out every game model wise with only a squad or two or a lone character remaining.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is a good reference for me as I really want to try this detachment in the new year.

What is good to see is you went through the Guilliman experiment that I had planned on trying so you may have saved me some time there. Thanks for the write up.